[comp.sys.ibm.pc] AIX questions?

ko@eecs.nwu.edu (John Ko) (06/02/89)

I have a few questions about AIX, the un*x that was first released
for the RT series and is BSD compatible.
Now it seems, based on UNIX WORLD mag. that it is finally released for
the PS/2 series.

So the question is how much, and if it can run on AT bu386 systems.

I need a BSD based u*nx for AT bus 386.

					j.ko
					a person running DOS with 386

rwmira01@ULKYVX.BITNET (Rob Miracle) (06/02/89)

In article <3580017@eecs.nwu.edu> ko@eecs.nwu.edu (John Ko) writes:

>I have a few questions about AIX, the un*x that was first released
>for the RT series and is BSD compatible.

Yea but have you heard about the windowing system that goes with AIX
(pronounced Aches).  It is called PANES  :-) :-) :-)

Punny, I know, Punny  get it WINDOWS = PANES = PAINS = ACHES = AIX

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist that one.  Even though I stole it from David E.
Brooks, Jr.   ...ukma!corpane!brooks, so flame him not me.

Rob
---
Rob Miracle              | Bitnet   : RWMIRA01@ULKYVX    CIS: 74216,3134
Programmer/Analyst-II    | INTERNET : rwmira01%ulkyvx.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
University of Louisville | UUCP     : ...psuvax1!ulkyvx.bitnet!rwmira01
"It's a large building with patients, but that's not important right now."
       -- Leslie Nelson from Airplane, The Movie

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (William Davidsen) (06/03/89)

In article <3580017@eecs.nwu.edu> ko@eecs.nwu.edu (John Ko) writes:
| I have a few questions about AIX, the un*x that was first released
| for the RT series and is BSD compatible.

	[ ... ]

| I need a BSD based u*nx for AT bus 386.

  This will come as a terrible shock, but AIX is not BSD. It's based on
SysV.1 with some BSD enhancements, and some IBM changes. As far as I
know you just can't get BSD for the 386, and I wouldn't bet that you
ever will.

  I don't know what IBM support for AIX looks like, but the support for
PC/ix and IBM Xenix was not particularly good, even by current
standards. I think for UNIX you might as well go with SysV.4 when
available. It will have virtually all of the BSD system stuff included.

| 					j.ko
| 					a person running DOS with 386

"A person running SCO Xenix for four years and counting"
	bill davidsen		(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen

smvorkoetter@watmum.waterloo.edu (Stefan M. Vorkoetter) (06/04/89)

In article <592@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <3580017@eecs.nwu.edu> ko@eecs.nwu.edu (John Ko) writes:
>| I have a few questions about AIX, the un*x that was first released
>| for the RT series and is BSD compatible.
>
>	[ ... ]
>
>| I need a BSD based u*nx for AT bus 386.
>
>  This will come as a terrible shock, but AIX is not BSD. It's based on
>SysV.1 with some BSD enhancements, and some IBM changes. As far as I
>know you just can't get BSD for the 386, and I wouldn't bet that you
>ever will.

I am running AIX on a PS/2 Model 70 A21 with 8M of memory and 115M of
disk.  It is a very pleasant system to use, and surprisingly free of
bugs considering this is the first PS/2 release.  I am running X windows
and IBM's C compiler.  I am also running DOS Merge, which lets me run
my DOS based terminal emulator in a winodw under AIX.  This is especially
amazing when you consider that the emulator accesses the hardware directly,
and is thus not what you would  call a well-behaved DOS program.

As far as performance is concerned, all the programs I have ported run
from 3.5 to 4 times faster than they do on our VAX 11/785.

My only peeves are:

There is no "more", so I wrote one.

There is a "tail", but no "head", so I wrote one.

The IBM C compiler gives a copyright notice everytime you run it, which
is very much against the Unix "quiet" philosophy.

Stefan Vorkoetter
Waterloo Maple Software
(watmath!wmsimum!maple)

perand@ttds.UUCP (Per Andersson) (06/05/89)

In article <592@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <3580017@eecs.nwu.edu> ko@eecs.nwu.edu (John Ko) writes:
>| I have a few questions about AIX, the un*x that was first released
>| for the RT series and is BSD compatible.
>
>	[ ... ]
>
>| I need a BSD based u*nx for AT bus 386.
>
>  This will come as a terrible shock, but AIX is not BSD. It's based on
>SysV.1 with some BSD enhancements, and some IBM changes. As far as I
>know you just can't get BSD for the 386, and I wouldn't bet that you
>ever will.
>
>  I don't know what IBM support for AIX looks like, but the support for
>PC/ix and IBM Xenix was not particularly good, even by current
>standards. I think for UNIX you might as well go with SysV.4 when
>available. It will have virtually all of the BSD system stuff included.
>
>| 					j.ko
>| 					a person running DOS with 386
>|

>"A person running SCO Xenix for four years and counting"
>	bill davidsen		(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
>  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen
>"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward" -me

Well, it is not completely true that BSD is not available on the '386.
SUN-OS might just be it, it is rumoured that SUN wrote that on a Compaq,
because the 386i was not finished. On the other hand I don't know if SUN
will sell to anybody not buying a 386i..... Then again, you might check
out Interactive more closely. The version I have claims to have even BSD
job control, along with socket library, sendmail etc.

Per
--
WHOAMI : Per Andersson
WHERE  : Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (06/05/89)

In article <1209@ttds.UUCP> perand@ttds.UUCP (Per Andersson) writes:
|Well, it is not completely true that BSD is not available on the '386.
|SUN-OS might just be it, it is rumoured that SUN wrote that on a Compaq,
|because the 386i was not finished.

"Rumored"?  There are still hooks in the code :-).

|On the other hand I don't know if SUN
|will sell to anybody not buying a 386i.....

They will not.  Considering they are a hardware company, I'm not surprised.

|Then again, you might check
|out Interactive more closely. The version I have claims to have even BSD
|job control, along with socket library, sendmail etc.

Job control I haven't seen under Interactive, although they certainly
have the rest.  I might not have used the newest version, however.

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

In article <10091@watcgl.waterloo.edu> smvorkoetter@watmum.waterloo.edu (Stefan M. Vorkoetter) writes:
|I am also running DOS Merge, which lets me run
|my DOS based terminal emulator in a winodw under AIX.  This is especially
|amazing when you consider that the emulator accesses the hardware directly,
|and is thus not what you would  call a well-behaved DOS program.

The 80386 has hardware support for memory protection and 8086
emulation, it isn't a trick to make even a poorly-behaved DOS program
run fine (well -- generally), although access to devices obviously
must be arbitrated somehow.  So far as I know, every UNIX for the
80386 has or can have virtual 8086 processes.

|My only peeves are:

My only peeve is that the display machine at the recent Engineering
Workstation Conference in Boston was guarded by an IBM suit-and-tie
who scowled at me and refused to allow me to try anything (he was
quite rude).  Interestingly, the same employee was unable to give me
any information about AIX, nor even to identify that PS/2-80 as such.
Why he was at the conference is a mystery to me.

While I hear a lot of good things about AIX from its users, its
limitation to PS/2 hardware is annoying (although, like SunOS on the
386i, expected).  The demo machine at the conference was having
trouble staying up, too, so my impression of AIX was not a good one.
Even so, I'd give a lot for job control on the 386, I'm missing my old
386i.

jim frost
software tool & die
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (06/05/89)

>Even so, I'd give a lot for job control on the 386, I'm missing my old
>386i.

If your kernel supports shell layers, ksh can give you a very
reasonable emulation of Berkeley job control.  shl is ATT's official
answer to job control, and it's a disaster.  But the underlying kernel
facilities used by shl can be used for something more interesting.  I
use it on Microport SV/AT.  Unfortunately, you need source to ksh to
build it with job control support enabled (and install some patches I
developed to make it work reliably - Korn did most of the work, but
gave up final debugging when he decided to insert BSD job control
support in System V instead).  I've never understood why none of the
micro System V vendors would ship ksh with job control.  I guess if
they understood why people wanted such things, they'd be doing BSD
instead of System V in the first place...

pajerek@isctsse.UUCP (Don Pajerek) (06/05/89)

In article <3580017@eecs.nwu.edu> ko@eecs.nwu.edu (John Ko) writes:
>I need a BSD based u*nx for AT bus 386.
>
>					j.ko

AIX is not what you're looking for.  First of all, it will run only on
the PS/2's.  Secondly, it's not BSD.  Take a look at Interactive Systems'
386/ix.  This may be closer to what you need.

Don Pajerek

korpela@soup.ssl.berkeley.edu (Erik Korpela) (06/08/89)

In article <10091@watcgl.waterloo.edu> smvorkoetter@watmum.waterloo.edu (Stefan M. Vorkoetter) writes:
concerning AIX
>My only peeves are:
>
>There is no "more", so I wrote one.

Are you sure there isn't a program called pg hiding somewhere?  There is in the RT version.
I prefer it infinitely to more.

    /\                      korpela@soup.ssl.berkeley.edu         Internet
   /__\  rioch              BKYAST::KORPELA    42215::KORPELA     DecNet
  /    \   of Chaos         korpela%bkyast@ucbjade                Bitnet
 (_____________________     <aka Eric Korpela>

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (06/10/89)

As quoted from <247@isctsse.UUCP> by pajerek@isctsse.UUCP (Don Pajerek):
+---------------
| In article <3580017@eecs.nwu.edu> ko@eecs.nwu.edu (John Ko) writes:
| >I need a BSD based u*nx for AT bus 386.
|
| AIX is not what you're looking for.  First of all, it will run only on
| the PS/2's.  Secondly, it's not BSD.  Take a look at Interactive Systems'
| 386/ix.  This may be closer to what you need.

Sorry; 386/ix is System V.  The *only* 386 BSD Unix (that I know of) is
SunOS for the Sun 386i -- and is available for non-Sun hardware.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu