[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Expanded memory simulators

hgcjr@utastro.UUCP (Harold G. Corwin Jr.) (06/07/89)

<>
I'm currently in need of software to emulate LIM 4.0 expanded
memory in extended memory.  I have an H-P Vectra (80286) with
2.6MB, and want to run R:Base with several large databases that
I am setting up.  Expanded memory seems the best way to do this.
There are at least 6 packages on the market that would probably
work:  AboveDisk, Turbo EMS, LIM-Sim, SIM-EMS, VRAM, and LIM-EMS.
In addition, PC Magazine has just published (27 June 1989) a
program, EMS40.SYS, to do the job.  A problem with AboveDisk,
TurboEMS, and EMS40.SYS is that each needs about 70K of RAM.  I
don't know about the others.  Has anyone used any of these who
is willing to give me a short review of them, including the RAM
problem and any others that might bite me?  Many thanks!
Harold Corwin
--
Harold G. Corwin, Jr.
  UUCP: {backbonesite}!{noao,cs.utexas.edu}!utastro!hgcjr

cab@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (CAB) (06/08/89)

In article <3981@utastro.UUCP>, hgcjr@utastro.UUCP (Harold G. Corwin Jr.) writes:
> <>
> I'm currently in need of software to emulate LIM 4.0 expanded
> memory in extended memory.
> ...PC Magazine has just published (27 June 1989) a
> program, EMS40.SYS, to do the job.
> Has anyone used any of these who
> is willing to give me a short review of them,

what he said ^ and post them or email them

Thnxx
--
          -CAB-
   _____/ _ || _\___

abcscnge@csuna.csun.edu (Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl) (06/09/89)

In article <3981@utastro.UUCP>, hgcjr@utastro.UUCP (Harold G. Corwin Jr.) writes:
! <>
! I'm currently in need of software to emulate LIM 4.0 expanded
! memory in extended memory.
! ...PC Magazine has just published (27 June 1989) a
! program, EMS40.SYS, to do the job.
! Has anyone used any of these who
! is willing to give me a short review of them,

I downloaded EMS40.SYS from PCMAGNET.  My config.sys looked like this (I have
384K of extended mem):

	device=himem.sys
	device=ems40.sys 320
	device=ramdisk.sys 64K /a
	device=smartdrv.sys 256 /a

Lines 1 and 2 are obvious.

Line 3 is a 64K RAMdisk in simulated EMS memory
Line 4 is SMARTDRIVE caching program in simulated EMS memory

I tested Windows/286 2.1.  I double clicked on a .DOC file to invoke
MS-Word 4.0 (a non-windows program) and locked up tighter than a drum.
CTRL-ALT-DEL wouldn't work.  Only out was a power cycle.

Hardware config:
	Tandon PCA+ (10MHz), 1M memory (640/384K), ST-251 HD.  Tandon DOS 3.2.

Anyone else have hangups with EMS40?

--
Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl
UUCP:  ...!sm.unisys.com!csun!csuna.csun.edu!abcscnge

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (06/11/89)

I haven't tried EMS40 yet, but I just got a AT compatible, with a lot of toys:
EMS 4.0 driver, relocate video bios, relocate regular bios etc. It seems
everyone out there thinks that this 384K chunk was allocated by IBM for their
particular product from the very start, so of course nothing works. In
particular, I have had a lot of problems with Smartdrv.sys. So I simply don't
use it. Hope removing that from your config.sys file helps.

Milan
mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu.