[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Best way to speed up IBM AT ??

du4@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Ted Goldstein) (06/10/89)

I was hoping to tap into some of the great net.experience out there to
get some advice on how to safely speed up a true blue IBM AT.
     This machine is used in the business office to run Lotus, Word,
Displaywrite, and Dbase. We are looking for a RELIABLE way to speed up Lotus
calculations (already have a coprocessor) without sacrificing any
compatability. I have heard about accelerator boards, which apparently
have varying levels of compatability, and about people changing crystals
on the motherboard.
     Doeas anyone have any recomendations on a good compatible accelerator
which will work with the above applications, or any good info on changing
crystals. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated!

Ted Goldstein                             du4@mace.cc.purdue.edu
Purdue University School of Technology

abcscnge@csuna.csun.edu (Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl) (06/11/89)

In article <2537@mace.cc.purdue.edu> du4@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Ted Goldstein) writes:
>     Doeas anyone have any recomendations on a good compatible accelerator
>which will work with the above applications, or any good info on changing
>crystals. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated!

Check the third IBM special issue of Byte.  Volume 11, Number 11, 1986.
Page 209.  "Speeding Up the PC AT" by Brian K. Roemmele.

This should give you plenty of info as to the perils and pitfalls, etc

Scott

--
Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl
UUCP:  ...!sm.unisys.com!csun!csuna.csun.edu!abcscnge