[comp.sys.ibm.pc] The Results of ... Re: ST01/ST296N 8 Bit SCSI transfer rate?

davis@clocs.cs.unc.edu (Mark Davis) (06/12/89)

SUMMARY: 8 bit ST01 SCSI controllers do pretty well.

In article <8356@thorin.cs.unc.edu> I (Mark Davis) wrote:

>What is the performance of 8 bit SCSI controllers running SCSI hard
>disks in real systems?
>
>This question came up because of the large number of Seagate "matched
>pairs" on the market.  My favorite right now is the ST296N 80 meg
>drive with ST01 SCSI host adapter.  At mail order prices of under
>$600, this is a pretty good deal considering you get the controller
>too.

Here is the data so far.  More data would be nice, but this should be
sufficient to answer the question of how much a hit you take by using
an 8 bit SCSI controller like the ST01 instead of the more expensive 16
bit controllers:

Tran Bus           Disk          Disk  CPU
Rate Mhz Control   Type          Tran Speed  Test Reporter
==== === =======   ====          ==== ====== ==== ========
850K 12  ST01M     Priam 738     10Mb 286/12 Core ojala@spica.hut.fi
800K 8   ST01M     Priam 738     10Mb 386/16 Core ojala@spica.hut.fi
1.2M -   Adaptec   Maxtor 650M   15Mb 386/16 -    ojala@spica.hut.fi
1M   -   WD7000ASC CDCWRENIV 300 15Mb 386/16 -    keithe@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
820K -   WD7000ACS CDCWREN 150   10Mb 286/10 -    keithe@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
800K 10  PS2ESDI/A IBM 70Meg     10Mb 386/20 Core Coretest 2.81

Notes:
	1. When ranges were given, I took the lower number.
	2. WD7000ACS and Adaptec are 16 bit controllers.
	3. ST01M is a ST01 with a third party BIOS ROM.
	4. I could not accurary identify the transfer rate of the CDC
	   150 Meg drive, but assumed that it is a 10 Mbit/sec drive.

My assessment is that the ST01 can do as well as the 16 bit controllers
as long as it handles 10 Mbit/sec disks.  This seems to be more a
result of the 10Mbit/sec limit than for the 8 bit bus interface.

What I really need is data on a 10 Meg/sec drive with a 16 bit
controller.  Since I was not sure about the CDC WREN 150 Meg drive, I
added the PS2 ESDI controller/drive combination.  This data seems to
confirm that 800K is about the best transfer rate you will see with a
10 Mbits/sec disk.

I should also add that if you are running DOS, this is great.  The
ST01's performance is quite adequate.  On the other hand, if you are
running a multitasking operating system, then other factors may make 16
bit controllers better.  [But I live in a DOS world ...]  [Well, not
really, but when it comes to PC's, I do.]

Thanks for all the help - Mark (davis@cs.unc.edu or uunet!mcnc!davis)