[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Sony 3.5" 1.44 drive

russ@prism.gatech.EDU (Russell Shackelford) (06/12/89)

just got myself a 386.  i also got a Sony 1.44 drive to go in it as the B drive.
I have both an immediate problem and a less-pressing question:

Problem: the drive WILL read the DIRECTORY info from 3.5" disks from other
sources but will NOT read FILE contents or write them, i.e., i get a
"general error: abort retry ignore?" message (not verbatim but close).
When i attempt a format, it will chug for a while and then gimme a failure
message on disks that i know are good. hmmmmmm.

drive came with no doc except for a flyer saying it was setup for drive B.
it IS set to ds2; i cannot recognize any terminator packs on it.  what's
the deal? what's the fix? any ideas?

(NOTE: this problem may or may not be caused or
aggravated by the fact that i've got an Archive tape drive installed along
with the board that muxes the 2 floppies (1.2 & the Sony) along with the
tape drive; dunno if this matters, i will experiment with this. I do know that
both the 1.2 drive and the tape drive are functioning properly. thus, it seems
unlikely that the mux is the problem, but if it
IS the problem, i will know about it tomorrow.  if not ???????) . The Sony
flyer also says that it works with IBM, etc., but for others a sw driver
might be necessary; this seems irrelevant since this is an apparently legit
clone Phoenix 386 bios, but who knows?

Other Question: does anybody know how to disable the hardware sensor on this
thing so that DD disks can be used as HD (assuming i get it to work at all)?

Doc note: the flyer that came with the Sony drive is for drives
MP-F11W-55D and MP-F17W-55D.  It makes reference to "the installation kit
manual (CH-100)" for durther info, but I DON"T HAVE such a manual.
--
Russell Shackelford
School of Information and Computer Science

dulimart@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Hansye S. Dulimarta) (06/13/89)

In article <817@hydra.gatech.EDU> russ@prism.gatech.EDU (Russell Shackelford) writes:
>I have both an immediate problem and a less-pressing question:
>
>Problem: the drive WILL read the DIRECTORY info from 3.5" disks from other
>sources but will NOT read FILE contents or write them, i.e., i get a
>"general error: abort retry ignore?" message (not verbatim but close).
>When i attempt a format, it will chug for a while and then gimme a failure
>message on disks that i know are good. hmmmmmm.

I just had a similar problem (not exactly the same with yours), when I tried
to FORMAT my 3.5" diskette and got a failure message : "bad track 0 sector 0"
(not verbatim !).
To my surprise, the solution is very simple. I noticed that there is a small
hole on the LOWER RIGHT side of the diskette (not the write protect hole).
When I closed this hole with a tape, I can format my diskette without any
problem.

You might need to check for that hole in your diskette.

>Other Question: does anybody know how to disable the hardware sensor on this
>thing so that DD disks can be used as HD (assuming i get it to work at all)?

I have no idea about the hardware sensor, but I tried to format my DD diskette
as a HD format without any problem (I got a space for 1.44 Meg byte on my DD).
I have heard that this practice will NOT guarantee the reliability of my
diskette, because the name DD (in same case) doesn't mean that it can't be
used as a HD diskette, but the diskette is manufactured and "tested" with
the mentioned specification on the diskette.
Remember that the recording medium on the diskette is a kind of chemical
compound (oxide).

Hope it'll help.

Hans
Dept. of Comp. Sci.