[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DoubleDOS on an IBM PS/2 Model 60

THALL@UALTAVM.BITNET (Tom Hall) (06/07/89)

I am trying to get DoubleDOS Version 5.0 to work on my IBM PS/2 Model
60. It has the standard 1024 Mbyte RAM with an Intel 80286 processor.

I have been trying to locate a driver which will configure the RAM above
640K for use with DoubleDOS. According to the DDOS manual, the memory
must be configured according to LIM 4.0 or EEMS specifications. I have
been told that there are no dip-switches, all configuration being done
in software. My problem is that I cannot locate the proper software. The
machine is running PC DOS 3.3.

Today I called an IBM retail outlet, and someone on the other end looked
into some manual somewhere and told me there was no EMS driver listed
for DOS 3.3. Does this mean that I must install DOS 4.0x in order to
make use of the extended capabilities of DoubleDOS?
Tom Hall                             FidoNet:  1:342/6
Edmonton, Alberta                    BitNet :  THALL@UALTAVM.BITNET

jms@hcx.uucp (Michael Stanley) (06/13/89)

In article <511@UALTAVM.BITNET>, THALL@UALTAVM.BITNET (Tom Hall) writes:
> I have been trying to locate a driver which will configure the RAM above
> 640K for use with DoubleDOS. According to the DDOS manual, the memory
> must be configured according to LIM 4.0 or EEMS specifications. I have
> been told that there are no dip-switches, all configuration being done
> in software. My problem is that I cannot locate the proper software. The
> machine is running PC DOS 3.3.

If you will check your local library or bookstore, you will find some
information in PC Magazine Volume 8 Issue 12 June 27, 1989.  That issue
offers a free program they call EMS40.SYS.  This device driver claims
to implement all the functions provided by LIM Version 4.0 except for the
DMA (direct memory access) functions included in the Alternate Map Register
Set function, function 28.  This program is free so it seems worth a try,
but obtaining it is a little more difficult.  You can type it in by hand
(the article gives enough information to obtain a working copy if you have
an assembler or basic on your system, or you can join PC*MAGNET and down-
load yourself a copy.  (I believe there is a small fee for using this
system (pay by hour).  In the long run, this could be a cheap solution for
you.  Good luck!

	Michael Stanley
	jms@hcx.uucp