[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ProTerm and ProComm: Availability

rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) (06/09/89)

Lewis Kreme Butler (Kreme@cup.portal.com) writes:

|        (he quotes... someone)
|
| | ProComm for the IBM PC is available on most MS-DOS bulletin boards.  It has
| | a Host Mode, which I imagine would allow for file transfers, and a variety
|
|                I believe ProComm is also a copyrighted program.  In other
| words, [this program] would not be available on the ordinary local BBS.
|
| You would have to have access to a pirate BBS.  These are rather difficult
| to get access to sometimes....

Procomm Plus TD (or Test Drive) is available in the public domain, as are
earlier editions of Procomm.  Procomm Plus is a proprietary program
available for sale.

	[david]

--
!======= David Douthitt :::: Madison, WI =======!== The Stainless Steel Rat ==!
!  ArpaNet: madnix!rat@cs.wisc.edu              !                             !

jms@hcx.uucp (Michael Stanley) (06/13/89)

In article <681@madnix.UUCP>, rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) writes:

> Procomm Plus TD (or Test Drive) is available in the public domain, as are
> earlier editions of Procomm.  Procomm Plus is a proprietary program
> available for sale.

Unless their status has changed, ProComm and ProComm Plus TD is available
on bulletin board systems.  However they are only available for testing.
They both clearly state (my copies do) that you may test them, and if you
find them useful you should send money to the authors.  I believe ProComm
is shareware, and ProComm Plus TD is a scaled down ProComm Plus which is
ONLY intended for testing purposes.  If you plan to use these programs,
you should send the requested money to the authors.

	Michael Stanley
	jms@hcx.uucp

shapiro@rb-dc1.UUCP (Mike Shapiro) (06/13/89)

In article <681@madnix.UUCP> rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) writes:
>Procomm Plus TD (or Test Drive) is available in the public domain, as are
>earlier editions of Procomm.  Procomm Plus is a proprietary program
>available for sale.

Neither ProComm Plus TD nor ProComm is in the public domain.  Both are
copyrighted programs, offered as "shareware."  ProComm Plus TD (Test
Drive) is a partially inhibited version of ProComm Plus, offered
through BBS systems as a demonstration version of the full program.

--
Michael Shapiro, Encore Computer Corporation (formerly Gould/GSD)
15378 Avenue of Science, San Diego, CA 92128