[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Turbo Pascal 5.x

wolsheim@prls.UUCP (Evert Wolsheimer) (06/03/89)

Question : can anyone tell me if Turbo Pascal 5.x has EGA/VGA drivers ?
I need a language (preferably Pascal) that can access EGA/VGA modes....
Please post (if you think it's of general interest) or send to me directly.

                                           Evert Wolsheimer

    You ain't much if you ain't Dutch....  :-)                prls!wolsheim

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (06/03/89)

In article <22642@prls.UUCP> wolsheim@prls.UUCP (Evert Wolsheimer) writes:
>Question : can anyone tell me if Turbo Pascal 5.x has EGA/VGA drivers ?

Yes, it does.  If fact Turbo Pascal uses the same driver both for
EGA and VGA.  This means that you cannot get more colors on VGA than
you can on EGA (16) when using Turbo Pascal.  Incidentally, these
drivers are called bgi drivers, and they can be included in the
Turbo Pascal executable, which makes such programs nicely portable.
The disadvantage of the bgi drivers is that programming them
correctly is far from easy.  In fact, building and including the
drivers in a Turbo Pascal program for the first time is a quite a
daunting task, and the documentation how to do it is scattered badly
in Turbo Pascal manuals and additional files.  Although the system
works very well once you manage the tricks, I think that in
documenting this feature the otherwise excellent Borland has clearly
failed.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

hartung@amos.ling.ucsd.edu (Jeff Hartung) (06/04/89)

In article <22642@prls.UUCP> wolsheim@prls.UUCP (Evert Wolsheimer) writes:
>Question : can anyone tell me if Turbo Pascal 5.x has EGA/VGA drivers ?
>I need a language (preferably Pascal) that can access EGA/VGA modes....

Turbo Pascal 5.0 provides graphics drivers for CGA, MCGA, EGA, VGA, Hercules,
AT&T 400 line, 3270 PC and IBM-8514.  I've only used the CGA and Hercules
drivers myself, so far.

 --Jeff Hartung--
 Disclaimer: My opinions only, etc., etc., BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!...
 ARPA - hartung@amos.ucsd.edu
 UUCP - ucsd!amos.ucsd.edu!hartung

msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) (06/07/89)

In article <22642@prls.UUCP> wolsheim@prls.UUCP (Evert Wolsheimer) writes:
>Question : can anyone tell me if Turbo Pascal 5.x has EGA/VGA drivers ?

Yes/ja.

Turbo Pascal 5.x has EGA/VGA drivers.
But, it is not possible to use the 256 color mode.

But recently, in the newsgroup comp.graphics, there has been
posted a new driver that does use them.

groeten,

					Michael

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (06/13/89)

In article <2708@solo10.cs.vu.nl> msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) writes:
<In article <22642@prls.UUCP> wolsheim@prls.UUCP (Evert Wolsheimer) writes:
<>Question : can anyone tell me if Turbo Pascal 5.x has EGA/VGA drivers ?
<
<Yes/ja.
<
<Turbo Pascal 5.x has EGA/VGA drivers.
<But, it is not possible to use the 256 color mode.
<
<But recently, in the newsgroup comp.graphics, there has been
<posted a new driver that does use them.

The recently released (free) BGI toolkit include a driver for
256 color mode.
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]