[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Help , COM3 and COM4 ports.

dav@abvax.UUCP (Dave A. Vasko) (06/12/89)

We are planing on connecting four serial ports to an IBM AT compatible
computer. Is there a standard I/O address location for COM3 and COM4.
If not is there a set of addresses that are commonly used. Also what
interrupt levels are used with COM3 and COM4.

		PORT    ADDRESS      INTERRUPT
		COM1	3F8-3FF      IRQ4
		COM2	2F8-2FF      IRQ3
		COM3    ?            ?
		COM4    ?            ?

Any help on this subject would be sincerely appreciated.

			Dave Vasko

* Dave Vasko                Allen-Bradley  Highland Hts. Ohio 44143        *
* (216) 646-4695            ...!{decvax,pyramid,cwjcc}!abvax!dav           *

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (06/13/89)

In article <749@abvax.UUCP> dav@abvax.UUCP (Dave A. Vasko) writes:

>We are planing on connecting four serial ports to an IBM AT compatible
>computer. Is there a standard I/O address location for COM3 and COM4.
>If not is there a set of addresses that are commonly used. Also what
>interrupt levels are used with COM3 and COM4.

One roundabout way of finding out is looking at the setup menus of
telecommunication programs.  For example Telix (alt-O) or Procomm
Plus (alt-S).  In practice I have noticed, that what you have to use
depends on what you have in those ports.  For example I have a modem
in com3, and when I changed the modem, I had to change (strange as
its sounds) the com3 irq as well to keep com1 and com still
operative.

Prof. Timo Salmi                                (Site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun