[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Writing NetBIOS Applications

gord@geac.UUCP (Gord Armstrong) (06/13/89)

  Is there anyone writing applications using NetBIOS?

  To help become familiar, we ordered the "C Programmers Guide to NetBIOS" by
  H.W.SAMS and IBMs "NetBIOS Application Developement Guide".

  Were using Novell Netware V2.11 on a Wyse 2108 PC and MS C 5.1. We typed in
  some progs from the SAM book (we ordered the disk 3 months ago but, it never
  came!) with numerous errors, of course. The SEND and RECEIVE progs works
  fine but, I can't get the datagrams to work???

  I was wondering if anyone could share experiences, pitfalls, or any
  general tidbits encountered using NetBIOS.

  All help greatly appreciated!

  ...Gord (gord@geac)

mguyott@mirror.UUCP (Marc Guyott) (06/15/89)

To: gord@geac.UUCP
Subject: Re: Writing NetBIOS Applications
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc,alt.msdos.programmer
Bcc:

In article <7476@geac.UUCP> you write:

>  Were using Novell Netware V2.11 on a Wyse 2108 PC and MS C 5.1. We typed in
>  some progs from the SAM book (we ordered the disk 3 months ago but, it never
>  came!) with numerous errors, of course. The SEND and RECEIVE progs works
>  fine but, I can't get the datagrams to work???

There is a known problem with all Novell NetBIOS emulators that prevents
datagrams from working.  I do not really know what the problem is but I
do know there is a problem because we are trying to use some software that
allows the Windows DDE protocol to go out over a network.  Both packages
that we have looked at, DDEX by Netlogic Inc. and DDENet by DaVinci Systems,
have told me that none of Novell's NetBIOS emulators currently work.  This
include version 2.15.

We are running version 2.12 of Novell's Advanced Netware 286.

The people at DaVinci System's are supposed to be sending me a Novell
NetBIOS emulator that is not yet available from Novell that fixes this
problem.  Send me mail in a week or two if you would like a copy of this
NetBIOS emulator when I get it.

In any event, I wanted to let you know that I believe your problem is caused
by Novell's NetBIOS emulator.  Talk to Novell.  By the way, if they give you
a new NetBIOS emulator that fixes the datagram problem I would appreciate
a copy of it 8-).
                                                Marc
----
              "All my life I always wanted to BE somebody.
               I see now I should have been more specific."
                             Jane Wagner
Marc Guyott                                         mguyott@mirror.TMC.COM
{mit-eddie, pyramid, harvard!wjh12, xait, datacube}!mirror!mguyott
Mirror Systems	Cambridge, MA  02140                617/661-0777

dale@hathor.cs.odu.edu (Dale Ross Maurice) (06/15/89)

In article <7476@geac.UUCP> gord@geac.UUCP (Gord Armstrong) writes:
>  Is there anyone writing applications using NetBIOS?
Yes.

>[etc..]
>  I was wondering if anyone could share experiences, pitfalls, or any
>  general tidbits encountered using NetBIOS.
I have a package of things I've been working on for the past six months.
It will not be available until August though, so I suggest you get the
earlier versions with limited source via ftp from xanth.cs.odu.edu

The versions to be released in August will be mostly in assembly due
to size limitations imposed by running a network on DOS machines.
The programs you can get via ftp are written in Turbo Pascal!

>  All help greatly appreciated!
>
>  ...Gord (gord@geac)

No problem!
Dale Ross Maurice           |  dale@xanth.cs.odu.edu  dale@cs.odu.edu
Old Dominion University     |  dale@xanth.uucp        [128.82.8.1]

neeraj@matrix.UUCP (neeraj sangal) (06/15/89)

In article <7476@geac.UUCP> gord@geac.UUCP (Gord Armstrong) writes:

>  To help become familiar, we ordered the "C Programmers Guide to NetBIOS" by
>  H.W.SAMS and IBMs "NetBIOS Application Developement Guide".
>
>  Were using Novell Netware V2.11 on a Wyse 2108 PC and MS C 5.1. We typed in
>  some progs from the SAM book (we ordered the disk 3 months ago but, it never
>  came!) with numerous errors, of course. The SEND and RECEIVE progs works
>  fine but, I can't get the datagrams to work???
>
>  ...Gord (gord@geac)

We also ordered the programs about 5 months ago.  We enclosed the check along
with our order, but we have neither received the diskette nor received any
acknowledgement.  The check does not appear to have been cashed.

Given your experience that the programs given in the book do not all work, it
all makes sense now!

Neeraj Sangal
Matrix Computer Systems, Inc.           7 1/2 Harris Rd, Nashua, NH 03062
uunet!matrix!neeraj                     (603) 888-7790