[comp.sys.ibm.pc] wanted: info on spinrite

GOLDSTN@MAINE.BITNET (Michael E. Goldstein) (06/09/89)

I heard about a hard disk utility called Spinrite
(a little while back) that will change the interleave value
and redo a hard disk's low level format
without destroying the data on the disk

Has anyone heard of this program or know where
I can purchase it?

Michael Goldstein
goldstn@maine.bitnet

leverich@randvax.UUCP (Brian Leverich) (06/11/89)

In article <1551GOLDSTN@MAINE> GOLDSTN@MAINE.BITNET (Michael E. Goldstein)
writes:
> I heard about a hard disk utility called Spinrite (a little while back)
> that will change the interleave value and redo a hard disk's low level
> format without destroying the data on the disk

>Has anyone heard of this program or know where I can purchase it?

SpinRite is _GREAT_: rescued one of my HDs that was giving me bad sectors
all over the place, and sped up another HD by a factor of 3.  Doesn't
require you to back up the HD, either, tho that's a good idea the first time
you use it.

Be warned, though, that SpinRite won't work with Priam's products or Plus
Development's HARDCARDs.  They make nonstandard use of the customer service
cylinder.  Also, if you are using a WD 1002-27X or 1002A-27X RLL
controller, you'll have to switch off the MFM emulation mode (which will
require backing up your HD and then reloading all your files...)

Otherwise, SpinRite seems to be compatible with just about everything.

You can order it for $59 plus a couple of bucks S&H from Gibson Research,
the manufacturer, at (714) 830-2200.  I received my copy two days after
ordering, so they must ship immediately.  Cheers.  -B
--
  "Simulate it in ROSS"
  Brian Leverich                       | U.S. Snail: 1700 Main St.

rkl@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (kevin.laux) (06/12/89)

In article <1551GOLDSTN@MAINE>, GOLDSTN@MAINE.BITNET (Michael E. Goldstein) writes:
> I heard about a hard disk utility called Spinrite
> (a little while back) that will change the interleave value
> and redo a hard disk's low level format
> without destroying the data on the disk
>
> Has anyone heard of this program or know where
> I can purchase it?

	SpinRite may be purchased from:

		Gibson Research Corporation
		22991 La Cadena
		Laguna Hills, CA 92653
		(714) 830-2200

	And yes, not only will it change the interleave on the fly but it
will also determine the best interleave for you.  I have never had any
problems with using it on a variety of machines.  I highly recommend it.

--rkl

moss@ttidca.TTI.COM (Les Moss) (06/13/89)

Also be aware that SpinRite does not work on buffered (1:1 interleave)
disk controllers like the WD1006 series.
--
Les Moss
Citicorp TTI

service@infohh.rmi.de (Zentrale HH) (06/13/89)

In article <2072@randvax.UUCP> leverich@rand-unix.UUCP (Brian Leverich) writes:
>In article <1551GOLDSTN@MAINE> GOLDSTN@MAINE.BITNET (Michael E. Goldstein)
>writes:
>SpinRite is _GREAT_: rescued one of my HDs that was giving me bad sectors
>all over the place, and sped up another HD by a factor of 3.  Doesn't

Yeah, it's great. Minimized my worky nights with my HD.

>Be warned, though, that SpinRite won't work with Priam's products or Plus
>Development's HARDCARDs.  They make nonstandard use of the customer service
>cylinder.  Also, if you are using a WD 1002-27X or 1002A-27X RLL
>controller, you'll have to switch off the MFM emulation mode (which will
>require backing up your HD and then reloading all your files...)
>
>Otherwise, SpinRite seems to be compatible with just about everything.

SpinRite won't work with Toshiba Laptops too. They said, they would
make a special version if there's enough interest. I wrote them a
letter some times ago (they don't seem to be on the net), cause I
switched to a T1200, but havn't got an answer (is there somebody
listening at Gibson Research??? has my letter dropped in the
ocean???).

>You can order it for $59 plus a couple of bucks S&H from Gibson Research,
>the manufacturer, at (714) 830-2200.  I received my copy two days after

Don't try a dealer near you (I tried last year in LA-Area :-(),
just call them directly.

--
III N  N FFF OOO   b   uucp:...{!uunet!mcvax}!unido!rmi!infoac!infohh!service
 I  NN N F   O O   bbb ooo x x  INFO.box Hamburg, Dirk Musstopf

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (06/13/89)

In article <4582@ttidca.TTI.COM> moss@ttidcb.tti.com (Les Moss) writes:
>Also be aware that SpinRite does not work on buffered (1:1 interleave)
>disk controllers like the WD1006 series.

Nor will it work on the PerStor ARLL controllers, which apparently
have a table in their ROM to translate an interleave number from the
value passed by the 'format track' code to the value actually handed
to the controller.

Disk Technician also fails with the PerStor boards, which is where I
found out about it (a friend of mine worked for the company that makes
Disk Technician for a time, and got the information from the head of
the programming department).

 Sean Malloy					| "The proton absorbs a photon
 Navy Personnel Research & Development Center	| and emits two morons, a
 San Diego, CA 92152-6800			| lepton, a boson, and a
 malloy@nprdc.navy.mil				| boson's mate. Why did I ever
						| take high-energy physics?"

rwh@me.utoronto.ca (Russell Herman) (06/13/89)

Before going commercial with it, GIBSON was distributing this product on a
shareware basis.  It can be found on BBSs under the name HDTST128.

THALL@UALTAVM.BITNET (Tom Hall) (06/16/89)

In article <89Jun13.163959edt.19263@me.utoronto.ca>, rwh@me.utoronto.ca (Russell Herman) writes:

>Before going commercial with it, GIBSON was distributing this product on a
>shareware basis.  It can be found on BBSs under the name HDTST128.

I found something from Gibson on a bbs not too long ago, and it turned
out to be just the diagnostic part of Spinrite. There was a blurb and
order form file included that invited you to purchase the full version.

Don't remember that name, though....

Tom
Tom Hall                             FidoNet:  1:342/6
Edmonton, Alberta                    BitNet :  THALL@UALTAVM.BITNET