[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC-NFS with CADD

ted@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Ted Mueller) (06/09/89)

HELP: We have several PC's running a Computer Visions CADD package and
would like to put the machines on our file server.  We did a "try before
you buy" exercise by trying to bring PC-NFS and the Cadd software up at
the same time. As we suspected the CADD will not run for lack of memory
that PC-NFS has gobbled up.  We have inquiries to Computer Vision ans SUN
on ways to put both programs on a diet but just in case they are no help
has anyone solved the problem of BIG application programs running with
PC-NFS??

Please e-mail and I will summarize the results, if any.

					Thanks in advance,
					Ted

$ {cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro, sun!texsun}!swrinde!ted

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (06/10/89)

In article <17258@swrinde.nde.swri.edu< ted@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Ted Mueller) writes:
<
<HELP: We have several PC's running a Computer Visions CADD package and
<would like to put the machines on our file server.  We did a "try before
<you buy" exercise by trying to bring PC-NFS and the Cadd software up at
<the same time. As we suspected the CADD will not run for lack of memory
<that PC-NFS has gobbled up.  We have inquiries to Computer Vision ans SUN
<on ways to put both programs on a diet but just in case they are no help
<has anyone solved the problem of BIG application programs running with
<PC-NFS??
<
If you're running a 386 box you can get 386^MAX (get the
professional version - extra cost - so you get 386LOAD, too).  This
will let you load the pcnfs driver int "high DOS memry," the region
between 640K and 1024K.  That's the way I get pcnfs to work on my
machines.

kEITHe

bobn@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Bob Nathanson) (06/14/89)

In article <17258@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> ted@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Ted Mueller) writes:

>HELP: We have several PC's running a Computer Visions CADD package and
>would like to put the machines on our file server.  We did a "try before
>you buy" exercise by trying to bring PC-NFS and the Cadd software up at
>the same time. As we suspected the CADD will not run for lack of memory
>that PC-NFS has gobbled up.  We have inquiries to Computer Vision ans SUN
>on ways to put both programs on a diet but just in case they are no help
>has anyone solved the problem of BIG application programs running with
>PC-NFS??

Using memory hog programs with PC-NFS is a general problem with CAD, database
and other large applications.  THERE IS A SOLUTION on 386 machines.

There are two programs that will load PC-NFS (or other drivers for networks,
mice, etc) into reserved memory (between 640K and 1M) on 386 machines with
extended memory.

1. 386totheMax by Qualitas - Professional version includes 386load
2. QEMM - by Quarterdeck

Getting the products configured is sometimes a little tricky but they
both work well.  (we have over 20 machines using 386Max)

You can run your network, mice, and some TSR's and still have over 580K
free memory.

Hope this helps-

Robert Nathanson
Tektronix CAE Support
(503)627-3066

qbzj@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (06/16/89)

On the problem of the size of PC-NFS,  I was wondering if anyone has
tried a program like QEMM-386 (review in May 30 PC Magazine) to push it
up into high memory.  We are also bothered by the size of PC-NFS but find
it very useful.  The only drawback we found was that running it broke
NCSA telnet on our system (ni5210 board at d0000 irq 3 i/o 360).  Sun's
telnet program is not nearly so nice as the NCSA distribution.

                  Peter Lorraine (lorraine@msc2.tn.cornell.edu)