[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Substitute drive A for drive B?

16012_3045@uwovax.uwo.ca (Paul Gomme) (06/15/89)

In article <89165.204532HJW2@PSUVM>, HJW2@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
> Hi netters,
>            Recently I had some experiences installing software on my AT comp.
> which has 5.25" and 3.5" dirves.  Some software require installation be done on
> drive A only and this is where the problem occurs.  Because not all software
> are using 5.25" format, I have to uncover the computer, swap the cables, and
> run the setup program to make 3.5" as drive A whenever my software is 3.5"
> formatted.
                            . . . . . . .
> I was wondering if there is a way to tell
> the system to look for drive B when it actually needs drive A?  In other words,
> is there a command like:  Let A:=B:  which will keep my hands clean?

Try
		ASSIGN A = B

> H. WU       HJW2@PSUVM.BITNET                       _|_    |___|
>             BUSINESS LOGISTICS DEPARTMENT          |_|_|   |___|
>             PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY         _|_|_|_  |___|
Paul Gomme        Bitnet:  gomme@uwovax.bitnet      ARPA:    gomme@uwo.ca

mitchemt@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (06/16/89)

Try "assign". I think that is the command. TM

davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed) (06/16/89)

I use the ASSIGN command to tell the system drive B: is drive A:, or drive D:
is drive C:.  It has worked whenever I have used it.  (One gotcha.  If you
ASSIGN C=D, and the real C: is where your DOS and UTILITY programs reside,
they will no longer be accessible!  If your ASSIGN command is on C:, you will
not be able to UNassign and will have to reboot to restore your system.)

scotts@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com (Scott Scheirman) (06/16/89)

>           Recently I had some experiences installing software on my AT comp.
>which has 5.25" and 3.5".  Some software require installation be done on
>drive A only and this is where the problem occurs.
>is there a command like:  Let A:=B:  which will keep my hands clean?

Try:
   ASSIGN A=B

Hope it helps,

Scott Scheirman
HP-McMinnville
scotts@hpmcaa

bobh@hpcuhb.HP.COM (Bob Headrick) (06/16/89)

To use physical drive B: as drive A:, just do a

SUBST A: B:\

That should be all you need.

Bob Headrick
..hplabs!hpda!bobh