[comp.sys.ibm.pc] RLL/Floppy controller advice wanted

pt@beta.lanl.gov (Paul A. Thiessen) (06/07/89)

Hello. I'm thinking about buying an RLL controller for my new '386
system that I'm going to buy. I need one that will handle two
hard drives and two floppies. Apparently, there are a few brands
that will do this.
  Does anyone have a recommendation on which one to buy?

  Thanks in advance for any help!

             - Paul

PAUL THIESSEN                      ...uunet!jarthur!pthiesse
pthiessen@hmcvax.bitnet                          pt@lanl.gov

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (06/12/89)

In article <25688@beta.lanl.gov> pt@beta.lanl.gov (Paul A. Thiessen) writes:
|Hello. I'm thinking about buying an RLL controller for my new '386
|system that I'm going to buy. I need one that will handle two
|hard drives and two floppies. Apparently, there are a few brands
|that will do this.
|  Does anyone have a recommendation on which one to buy?

The Adaptech controller works fine.  In my system, it is controlling a
1.2Mb 5.25" floppy, a 1.44Mb 3.5" floppy, and a 68Mb fixed disk, with
pins for a second fixed disk just sitting there.

Email if you would like more information (such as model number, etc)
since it's at work and I'm not.

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

dulimart@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Hansye S. Dulimarta) (06/13/89)

Hi folks, I talked to a friend of mine about this drive controller but
he didn't know exactly how this controller works.

Could anybody explain about this controller (RLL). What is the
difference between this controller and FM, MFM, M2FM ?

Is there any other controlling method besides these ones ?
I appreciate your reply.

Hans.

ppa@hpldola.HP.COM (Paul P. Austgen) (06/13/89)

These are different coding methods for writing data onto the disc
surface.  You should consult magazine articles for details, as it
is too complex to reproduce here.  RLL generally writes more
"net" data than MFM methods.  It also requires a special
controller and a certified RLL disk (at least for reliable
operation, see numerous other postings on this group about using
non-RLL surfaces).

There is also ARRL, which is even more efficient than RLL.
There are probably others as well.

macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) (06/18/89)

>In article <25688@beta.lanl.gov> pt@beta.lanl.gov (Paul A. Thiessen) writes:
>|Hello. I'm thinking about buying an RLL controller for my new '386
>|system that I'm going to buy. I need one that will handle two
>|hard drives and two floppies. Apparently, there are a few brands
>|that will do this.
>|  Does anyone have a recommendation on which one to buy?

My company sells high performance systems based on 286 and 386 motherboards.
We have standardized on the Adaptec 2372 1:1 RLL hard/floppy controller.
They are reliable, they work with MS-DOS and SCO Xenix, and are readily
available.

When we are in a pinch, we use the DTC 7287, which we have found to be
equally acceptable.  (In theory, the DTC should run slightly better
is you are running you bus at 10 mhz or higher: ;it will not add wait
states.)

Regards, and good luck.
Macy Hallock                         fmsystm!macy@NCoast.ORG
F M Systems                          ncoast!fmsystm!macy
150 Highland Dr.                     216-723-3000 voice, office
Medina, OH 44256                     216-722-3053 voice, home