[comp.sys.ibm.pc] SCCS for DOS

romero@mind.UUCP (Antonio Romero) (08/21/87)

Anyone know if there's a version of SCCS, RCS, or any other
system for controlling versions of software under development
under PC-DOS? Please E-mail, rather than post-- I don't
usually read this group...

Thanks very much.

Antonio Romero	romero@psycho.Princeton.EDU

jojo@speedy.WISC.EDU (Jon Wesener) (08/22/87)

In article <1152@mind.UUCP> romero@mind.UUCP (Antonio Romero) writes:

>Anyone know if there's a version of SCCS, RCS, or any other
>system for controlling versions of software under development
>under PC-DOS? Please E-mail, rather than post-- I don't
>usually read this group...
>
>Thanks very much.
>
>Antonio Romero	romero@psycho.Princeton.EDU

	I, too, would really like that information.  The idea of porting
RCS sounds like a lot of work, but if it's already been done... ;-)

--j

jon wesener
jojo@speedy.wisc.edu
	"Than it struck me, I just might die with a smile on my face
	 after all."                                    --Morrissey

johnl@ima.ISC.COM (John R. Levine) (08/23/87)

In article <4131@spool.wisc.edu.WISC.EDU> jojo@speedy.WISC.EDU (Jon Wesener) writes:
>In article <1152@mind.UUCP> romero@mind.UUCP (Antonio Romero) writes:
>>
>>Anyone know if there's a version of SCCS, RCS, or any other
>>system for controlling versions of software under development
>>under PC-DOS? ...

I've used PVCS (Polytron Version Control System) from Polytron of Hillsboro
Oregon.  It is much like RCS, to the point of having matching file keywords.
It works pretty well, keeps track of who has what locked in a multiuser
environment, lets you assign version names independently of revision
numbers, can keep a change log, etc.  Costs about $395 for a single
user version, $1000 and up for a network version.

The support is OK, they are interested in hearing about bugs and do
fix them in subsequent releases.
--
John R. Levine, Cambridge MA, +1 617 492 3869
{ ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something

dick@plx.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) (08/24/87)

Expires:

In article <4131@spool.wisc.edu.WISC.EDU> jojo@speedy.WISC.EDU (Jon Wesener) writes:
>In article <1152@mind.UUCP> romero@mind.UUCP (Antonio Romero) writes:
>>Anyone know if there's a version of SCCS, RCS, or any other
>>system for controlling versions of software under development
>>under PC-DOS? [...]
>
>	I, too, would really like that information.  The idea of porting
>RCS sounds like a lot of work, but if it's already been done... ;-)

Polytron (the folks in Oregon who brought you PolyMake and other Poly...
things) have a "Version Control System."  It is not an exact clone of
SCCS, but it is a functional equivalent and seems to work okay for us.
I seem to recall it being in the $100-200 range, but the discount houses
would probably be your best bet.

I have no relationship with Polytron other than being a reasonably
satisfied user of their products in general, the their VCS product
in particular
--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD                            Long Live Zero Print Control
UUCP:  ...!ucbvax!sun!plx!dick

martyl@rocksvax.UUCP (Marty Leisner) (08/24/87)

In article <4131@spool.wisc.edu.WISC.EDU> jojo@speedy.WISC.EDU (Jon Wesener) writes:

>	I, too, would really like that information.  The idea of porting
>RCS sounds like a lot of work, but if it's already been done... ;-)

Earlier this year I looked into porting RCS.

The major problem is it uses parts of proprietary ATT code for the diff
routines.  In order to use it on MS-DOS, you need a Unix source license.
I too badly need a source control system and I don't like buying products
without source code.

marty

michael@orcisi.UUCP (08/25/87)

> Anyone know if there's a version of SCCS, RCS, or any other
> system for controlling versions of software under development

There is a product out there called PVCS that is supposed to
be satisfactory.  I haven't looked at it myself.

bright@dataio.Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) (08/26/87)

> Anyone know if there's a version of SCCS, RCS, or any other
> system for controlling versions of software under development

BRICKS is available from Datalight. It is a single-user, PC based
revision control system. For more info, call Datalight at
1-800-221-6630 or 1-206-367-1803.

clark@killer.UUCP (Clark Brown) (08/27/87)

> In article <1152@mind.UUCP> romero@mind.UUCP (Antonio Romero) writes:
> >
> >Anyone know if there's a version of SCCS, RCS, or any other
> >system for controlling versions of software under development
> >under PC-DOS?

We have used PVCS from Polytron with great success.  It has a network
version also for multi-workstation access over PC-NET or equiv.

<my name is in the header>

a80028@tansei.UUCP (08/28/87)

In article <1152@mind.UUCP> romero@mind.UUCP (Antonio Romero) writes:

>Anyone know if there's a version of SCCS, RCS, or any other
>system for controlling versions of software under development
>under PC-DOS? Please E-mail, rather than post-- I don't

If someone has any information, could they
e-mail me also.  Thanks in advance.

Makoto Hasegawa
CS-NET:	a80028%tansei.cc.u-tokyo.junet%japan@RELAY.CS.NET

jim@aob.aob.mn.org (Jim Anderson) (06/20/89)

Is there anybody supplying SCCS for a PC running DOS?  I am using
SCCS on UNIX and XENIX and would like to make the SCCS files available
on DOS for history and changes.  If it needs to use an SCCS front
end, that would be find, as long as it accepted the UNIX SCCS file
format (obviously the s. file needs a name change, but that could be
in a separate directory).  If SCCS is not available, is there an
equivalent available that would run under SUNOS 3.x, SUNOS4.x, HP-UX,
DOS, and Altos XENIX?  SCCS at least hits 4 of the 5 systems.  Source
availability would be a plus if it is not SCCS.  Also, some means of
converting the existing SCCS files (with history for about 200000 lines
of code and documentation) would be needed.  Thanks for any help.

	Jim
--
Jim Anderson			(612) 636-2869
Anderson O'Brien, Inc		New mail:jim@aob.mn.org