[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Security Devices

tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu (Tom [Chris] Murphy) (06/08/89)

We are looking for devices for PC compatibles that force the machine to
boot off drive C: for use in a computer lab.  (We have the recent BYTE
article).  The machines are currently AT&T 6300s, but AT&T AT-class
machines will also be in the lab soon.

Tom Murphy
tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu

mlord@bnr-public.uucp (Mark Lord) (06/09/89)

In article <2615@wpi.wpi.edu> tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu (Tom [Chris] Murphy) writes:
>We are looking for devices for PC compatibles that force the machine to
>boot off drive C: for use in a computer lab.  (We have the recent BYTE
>article).  The machines are currently AT&T 6300s, but AT&T AT-class
>machines will also be in the lab soon.

I suspect just about anybody's machine will do for this, WITH A SLIGHT FIX.
By default, most (all?) machines try to boot from drive A, and then drive C.
So you have at least two options:  1) disconnect the floppy drive, which will
prevent booting from it.  Or, 2) connect the floppy drive to the drive B
connector, which will still allow use of floppies, but will prevent booting
from them.

-Mark

jack@focsys.UUCP (Jack Houde) (06/20/89)

Are you sure about this?

If memory serves me correctly, the BIOS absolutely MUST see
a floopy drive "A" or it will refuse to boot.

16012_3045@uwovax.uwo.ca (Paul Gomme) (06/20/89)

In article <492@focsys.UUCP>, jack@focsys.UUCP (Jack Houde) writes:
> Are you sure about this?
>
> If memory serves me correctly, the BIOS absolutely MUST see
> a floopy drive "A" or it will refuse to boot.

My XT clone will boot without an A: drive.  It complains, and takes a rather
long time to boot, but it will boot.
Paul Gomme        Bitnet:  gomme@uwovax.bitnet      ARPA:    gomme@uwo.ca