[comp.sys.ibm.pc] multi-tasking in os/2

gblee@maui.cs.ucla.edu (06/20/89)

Dear folks! I have something to know os/2's multi-tasking.
In Unix based system, window-based (e.g. x-window) multi-tasking is
something like that if we open 3 windows, it is the same effect that we
have 3 separate terminals. I heard that os/2 presenation manager is
also window based, but how powerful is it? Is it like that we have many
terminals at the same time, in other words, in os/2 can we open
one window for connecting to another machine, and open another
window to do some local jobs...things like that? Or, is
it just like MS-window for DOs based-system? In Os/2, can we
run several jobs at the same time, background and forground?
Also, i want to know in PS/2, is there any way to use Dos and Os/2
at the same time, in other words, open one window for Dos, and
another window for os/2... Is it possible?
Much thanks to the smart outside advisors. I will remember your contributions!!!
thank you....

-Geunbae Lee, AI lab, UCLA.

kramer@mergvax (Benjamin Kramer) (06/21/89)

In article <25018@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> gblee@CS.UCLA.EDU () writes:
>... I heard that os/2 presenation manager is
>also window based, but how powerful is it? Is it like that we have many
>terminals at the same time, in other words, in os/2 can we open
>one window for connecting to another machine, and open another
>window to do some local jobs...things like that? Or, is
>it just like MS-window for DOs based-system? In Os/2, can we
>run several jobs at the same time, background and forground?
>Also, i want to know in PS/2, is there any way to use Dos and Os/2
>at the same time, in other words, open one window for Dos, and
>another window for os/2... Is it possible?

	I have just started working in OS/2 and one of the main purposes
	this operating was developed was to have true multi-tasking.  As
	a matter of fact, OS/2 boots opening multiple windows; one for
	DOS, a spooler, and a task manager.  OS/2 must be running on at
	least a 286 but works much faster on a 386.  I hope this answers
	your questions.

			-Ben Kramer

UUCP	  : ...{cpmain,icus,motown,philabs}\!mergvax\!kramer
ARPA	  : kramer%mergvax.UUCP@uunet.uu.net
BITNET	  : kramer%mergvax.UUCP@uunet.uu.net.BITNET
SNAIL-mail: Linotype Company - R&D 425 Oser Avenue Hauppauge, NY 11788
VOICE	  : (516) 434 - 2713