[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Procomm's Ymodem Batch protocol

cs00chs@unccvax.UUCP (charles spell) (06/21/89)

I have had problems with sending files using procomm's
ymodem batch. It seems to timeout on the first data block.
Has anyone else had this problem?

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (06/23/89)

In article <1527@unccvax.UUCP> cs00chs@unccvax.UUCP (charles spell) writes:
>I have had problems with sending files using procomm's
>ymodem batch. It seems to timeout on the first data block.
>Has anyone else had this problem?

There are at least two incompatible protocols around sometimes called
ymodem. One of them is a protocol which is really little (or no) more
than Xmodem with a 1k block size, properly called xmodem-1k, but many
systems call it ymodem. There is something called TRUE YMODEM, which
is claimed, by its author, to be the original ymodem. I do not know
who is right, etc., and do not want to discuss that, but I felt
compelled to let you know that there ARE multiple uses of the name.

Therefore, it is possible that the problems you describe are simply
due to protocol mismatches, and that if you have the opportunity to
experiment with which protocol to use that you might be able to
work around it.

You might try to pick up a copy of dsz, which implements ZMODEM, TRUE YMODEM,
and XMODEM protocols. It is available on many BBS systems as shareware.

Good luck!

Fred