[net.general] The elimination of certain non-technical newsgroups by so called "powers-that-be"

michael@ucbiris.berkeley.edu (Tom Slone [(415)486-5954]) (04/20/86)

A rumor has been put out that certain so called "powers-that-be" in the
backbone-sites are deciding the fate of certain non-technical
newsgroups, either to eliminate them, or to give them a second class
status.  The discussion is taking place without the general knowledge
of the USENET community.  It is being done in an attempt to reduce the
ever increasing costs of USENET, particularly to these backbone-sites.

I support efforts at reducing USENET phone costs, however I do not
support the elimination of non-technical newsgroups for two reasons.
First, a minor reason, elimination of newsgroups will have the effect
of increasing discussion of extraneous matters within technical
newsgroups.  Second, the major reason:  USENET, as it now exists, is a
greater concept than many of us would seem to know.  Because of its
open-endedness; its free exchange of ideas; and its availability to
anyone with a modest amount of money (specifically through groups like
Whole Earth 'Lectronic Link which provides general public access to
USENET for a fee); USENET has the features of an electronic
university.  Indeed, in some sense, USENET is more like a university
than many institutions which go by that name, because unlike many of
those institutions, it can be accessible at a modest fee to the
individual and it does not tend to suppress individuals from thinking
for themselves (I refer here to the rote method which still dominates
many of today's classrooms).

In consideration of the virtues of the current state of USENET, I urge
the powers-that-be at the backbone-sites to exhaust all possible
avenues for cost cutting before further newsgroup eliminations are
implemented.
..arizona!___\					   michael@ucbiris.berkeley.edu
..decwrl!_____!ucbvax!ucbiris!michael
..ihnp4!_____/
..sun!______/					  michael%ucbiris@berkeley.arpa

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (04/24/86)

In article <588@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, michael@ucbiris.berkeley.edu (Tom Slone [(415)486-5954]) writes:
> A rumor has been put out that certain so called "powers-that-be" in the
> backbone-sites are deciding the fate of certain non-technical
> newsgroups, either to eliminate them, or to give them a second class
> status.
> First, a minor reason, elimination of newsgroups will have the effect
> of increasing discussion of extraneous matters within technical
> newsgroups.

I think relegating them to 'second class status' is a good idea.  It
saves costs without eliminating them.  I assume that means transferring
them only over "free" lines or between sites who really want them.

But, I agree, eliminating them entirely will put noise on other
reasonable groups.  If anyone has noticed the Muslim vs. Judaism wars
that can break out on any news group (net.jobs comes to mind) at
any time, you know what I mean.

We should provide a forum for people to discuss these things, or they
will use the technical groups for it instead.  (I know, the
"powers-that-be" want moderation, but I doubt we'll get enough
volunteer editors...)
--
	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037