From dorab@neptune Mon Jun 19 16:29:21 1989
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 89 16:29:10 PDT
From: dorab@neptune (Dorab Patel)
To: gblee@maui
Subject: X under MesSyDOS

see XSight from Locus Computing Corp. talk to greg kitch of SEASnet
for more info.

'dorab
From jpn@genrad.com Tue Jun 20 04:41:31 1989
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 89 07:04:19 EDT
From: jpn@genrad.com (John P. Nelson)
To: gblee@cs.ucla.edu
Subject: Re: multi-tasking in os/2
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc

>                          , in other words, in os/2 can we open
>one window for connecting to another machine, and open another
>window to do some local jobs...things like that?

Yes.

> Or, is it just like MS-window for DOs based-system?

Also yes.  Actually, more like MS-windows 386.  It has true multitasking.

>In Os/2, can we
>run several jobs at the same time, background and forground?

yes.

>Also, i want to know in PS/2, is there any way to use Dos and Os/2
>at the same time, in other words, open one window for Dos, and
>another window for os/2... Is it possible?

Os/2 comes with the capability of having a "DOS Compatibility Box" in
which you can run a single dos session.  You can run multiple OS/2
tasks in the background when you have the DOS session in the
foreground, but MS-windows-like, it will suspend the DOS session to put
an OS/2 task in the foreground.

If you want true multitasking of DOS applications (or background execution
of DOS applications) you really need a '386 and either Desqview or windows-386.

--
     john nelson

UUCP:	{decvax,mit-eddie}!genrad!jpn
smail:	jpn@genrad.com

From dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu Tue Jun 20 05:50:25 1989
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 89 08:49:20 EDT
From: Duncan Murdoch <dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu>
To: gblee@CS.UCLA.EDU
Subject: Re: x-window on dos or os/2
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc,comp.graphics,comp.dcom.lans

In article <25024@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> you write:
>Hi! folks!
>Does anybody know any X-window or similar powerful window software
>which is runing on Dos or Os/2? Any pointer will be appreciated.

I was told a few days ago that IBM, as a postscript to an announcement about
their X-windows implementation for their new Unix (POSIX? A/IX? I forget the
name they use), mentioned that they're also releasing a DOS version.  I didn't
get any more detail than that; I don't know who you'd contact to find out.

Duncan Murdoch

From stever@hp-ptp.hp.com Tue Jun 20 10:14:08 1989
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 89 10:14:03 pdt
From: Steve_Roth <stever@hp-ptp.hp.com>
To: gblee@maui.cs.ucla.edu
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc

> In Unix based system, window-based (e.g. x-window) multi-tasking is
> something like that if we open 3 windows, it is the same effect that we
> have 3 separate terminals.  I heard that os/2 presenation manager is
> also window based, but how powerful is it? Is it like that we have many
> terminals at the same time, in other words, in os/2 can we open
> one window for connecting to another machine, and open another
> window to do some local jobs...things like that?

In this sense, x and Presentation Manager are quite similar.  You can quite
easily open as many simulataneous windows for local tasks as you want, and
other windows for remote access if you have a network that runs under OS/2.

> In Os/2, can we run several jobs at the same time, background and forground?

I do it all the time.  As long as the jobs you are running are so-called
"protected mode applications" (i.e., written for OS/2 rather than DOS), you
can run as many of them as you want in background and as many as fit on the
screen in foreground.  The process receiving input always runs at much higher
priority than any other, though.

> Also, i want to know in PS/2, is there any way to use Dos and Os/2
> at the same time, in other words, open one window for Dos, and
> another window for os/2... Is it possible?

Any OS/2 machine (PS/2 or not) can run DOS applications at the same time as
OS/2 applications.  However, there are strong limitations on this:  (A) the
DOS application always owns the whole screen, so you can't put it in a
window; (B) only one DOS application at a time (although many OS/2
applications can be running along with it); (C) DOS applications receive no
time when put in background; they only run in foreground; (D) only well-
behaved DOS applications are supported.

I don't work on a PS/2, so I can't swear to it, but I am reasonably certain
that they allow you no special features beyond any other OS/2 machine and,
in particular, that you can not place DOS and OS/2 applications in side-by-
side windows on one.

Steve Roth	steve%hpams0c@hplabs.hp.com	408-746-5639
Hewlett-Packard Co., 1266 Kifer Road #102I, Sunnyvale CA 94086
All opinions expressed here are my own and not necessarily shared by HP.

From @drizzle.cs.uoregon.edu:akm@cs.uoregon.edu Tue Jun 20 12:31:12 1989
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 89 12:28:41 PDT
From: akm@cs.uoregon.edu
To: gblee@CS.UCLA.EDU
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc,comp.graphics,comp.dcom.lans

In article <25024@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> you write:
>Hi! folks!
>Does anybody know any X-window or similar powerful window software
>which is runing on Dos or Os/2? Any pointer will be appreciated.
>Please e-mail me. Thank you.
>--Geunbae Lee, AI-UCLA

Here is an old article about xwindows that was posted to the net.

The DOS/UNIX integration product "PC-Connect" has been launched in a
shrink-wrapped package, and Sphinx Software are handling distribution
of the SCO XENIX version in the UK.  PC-Connect, developed by the
VisionWare division of Systime Computers Limited, has previously been
available through OEM channels and is also available for other versions
of UNIX/XENIX.

PC-Connect allows IBM-compatible PC or PS/2 personal computers
running Microsoft Windows to become multi-windowed workstations
connected to one or more UNIX host systems.  It uses the graphics
interface of Windows to provide a homogeneous environment for DOS and
UNIX applications.

The physical links between the PCs and host systems can be RS232C
serial lines, and/or one of the several supported networks including
Ethernet with TCP/IP. A Desktop window is displayed on the PC screen,
containing icons which show programs available to be run.  The icons
can represent DOS or UNIX programs.

Clicking on an icon with the mouse starts an application, without the
user needing to know which computer the program will execute on.  If
it is a DOS program it runs as a normal Windows application.  A UNIX
program runs in a window which initially contains a terminal
emulator, so that standard UNIX applications can run unchanged.

A PC-Connect Development System is available which allows programmers
to write UNIX programs which make use of the Microsoft Windows API on
an attached PC.  A UNIX program can use windows, icons, menus and the
mouse to provide a user interface which appears similar to DOS-based
Windows applications.  A full range of graphics functions is
available which effectively provides a graphics terminal in full
color for UNIX at a very low cost.

Other products in the VisionWare range include:

PM-Connect, which is a version of PC-Connect implemented to work
under the Presentation Manager interface of OS/2.

A Microsoft Windows-based X Window System server which allows host-
based X clients to use standard X protocols to display information on
a PC screen.

SQL-Connect, which allows a PC user to make SQL requests of host-
based relational database management systems.  SQL-Connect runs as a
DDE server on a UNIX host system, and any application which uses DDE
can pass an SQL request to it.  For example, Microsoft Excel running
on a workstation can extract data from a corporate database and
display the information in a spreadsheet.  Initially the RDBMSs
supported are Informix and Oracle.

A package of programs is being developed which will provide the UNIX
system administrator with a friendly Windows interface to commonly
used UNIX utility programs.  The object is to allow a non-technical
system administrator to operate and manage a UNIX system without ever
leaving the Microsoft Windows environment.

Further information about VisionWare products can be obtained from:

VisionWare,                 Telephone: (0532) 529292
Systime Computers Limited,       Intl:  +44 532-529292
Leeds Business Park,              Fax: (0532) 526614
Leeds,                           Intl:  +44 532-526614
LS27 0NH,                       Telex:  556283
United Kingdom                  UUCP : vision@systime.uucp
                             BANGNET : ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!systime!vision

             ---------------------------------------

USA Contact:

P.O. Box 3991,                   Telephone: (612) 377-3627
Minneapolis,
MN 55405

In article <9375@j.cc.purdue.edu> dan@midas.mgmt.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) writes:
>		I am looking for any existing X Window server software
>	for IBM-PC style machines.  Drivers for Ethernet, token ring
>	and local talk cards are important.
>
>			Daniel Lawrence

Just the other day I saw an X server running on a PS/2 Model 20-286. It
is sold by IBM, but I believe it may actually be Locus Computing's
PC-XSight.  IBM was apparently willing to sell it for less than $200.

djp

In article <8170@pyr.gatech.EDU> ccastgw@pyr.gatech.edu.UUCP (GREG WILLIAMS) writes:
>I have heard that Xsight is a port of XWindows for MS-DOS.  Can
>someone give me more information on this, and how to get in touch
>with Locus?  I'd like to know if its worth getting.

We got our copy from a marketing group that Locus has sell Xsight. They are:

	Hitech Consulting Group
	1801 Avenue of the Stars
	Suite 507
	Los Angeles, CA 90066
	(213) 556-1628

The person I dealt with was John Kunz.

The version of Xsight we have is an X11R2 port :-( X11R3 is what I need be the
server runs pretty well.

--

Tom Bernhard
--

Anant Kartik Mithal					akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Department of Computer Science				akm@oregon.BITNET

Date: Tue, 20 Jun 89 13:25:45 pdt
From apt!brian Tue Jun 20 18:14:18 1989
Date: 20 Jun 89 16:49:13 PDT (Tue)
From: apt!brian (Brian Litzinger)
To: gblee@CS.UCLA.EDU

gblee@maui.cs.ucla.edu:
> Hi! folks!
> Does anybody know any X-window or similar powerful window software
> which is runing on Dos or Os/2? Any pointer will be appreciated.
> Please e-mail me. Thank you.
> --Geunbae Lee, AI-UCLA

Graphics Software Systems
PC-View
503 641 2200

Locus Computing Corp.
PC-Xsight
Don't know phone #

<>  Brian Litzinger @ APT Technology Inc., San Jose, CA
<>  UUCP:  {apple,sun,pyramid}!daver!apt!brian    brian@apt.UUCP
<>  VOICE: 408 370 9077      FAX: 408 370 9291

pajerek@isctsse.UUCP (Don Pajerek) (06/23/89)

In article <25112@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> gblee@CS.UCLA.EDU () writes:
>Many of you requested summary of Os/2, Dos and X-window.
>Here is intermediate one. Enjoy it.
>
>>Also, i want to know in PS/2, is there any way to use Dos and Os/2
>>at the same time, in other words, open one window for Dos, and
>>another window for os/2... Is it possible?
>
>Os/2 comes with the capability of having a "DOS Compatibility Box" in
>which you can run a single dos session.  You can run multiple OS/2
>tasks in the background when you have the DOS session in the
>foreground, but MS-windows-like, it will suspend the DOS session to put
>an OS/2 task in the foreground.

No.  When the DOS Compatibility Box is brought to the foreground, all OS/2
programs are suspended.  This is because the DOS program must execute in
real mode, while OS/2 programs use protected mode.  This eliminates the
possibility of multitasking mixed DOS and OS/2 programs.

386 machines can multitask DOS applications by using the 'virtual 8086'
mode of the 386 processor.  However, you cannot run OS/2 programs in
this environment.

>--
>     john nelson

Don Pajerek

schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (steven v christensen) (06/24/89)

In article <253@isctsse.UUCP>, pajerek@isctsse.UUCP (Don Pajerek) writes:
> ...  When the DOS Compatibility Box is brought to the foreground, all OS/2
> programs are suspended.  This is because the DOS program must execute in
> real mode, while OS/2 programs use protected mode.  This eliminates the
> possibility of multitasking mixed DOS and OS/2 programs.
>
> Don Pajerek

This is NOT correct. With the DOS box in the foreground, the OS/2 sessions
WILL continue in the background, albiet somewhat more slowly.

When the DOS box goes in to the background, the DOS program stops, though.

Steven

--
Steven V. Christensen
U.C. College of Eng.

rh1m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rudi Jay Halbright) (06/28/89)

pajerek@isctsse.UUCP (Don Pajerek) writes:

>In article <25112@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> gblee@CS.UCLA.EDU () writes:
>>Many of you requested summary of Os/2, Dos and X-window.
>>tasks in the background when you have the DOS session in the
>>foreground, but MS-windows-like, it will suspend the DOS session to put
>>an OS/2 task in the foreground.

>No.  When the DOS Compatibility Box is brought to the foreground, all OS/2
>programs are suspended.  This is because the DOS program must execute in
>real mode, while OS/2 programs use protected mode.  This eliminates the
>possibility of multitasking mixed DOS and OS/2 programs.

>386 machines can multitask DOS applications by using the 'virtual 8086'
>mode of the 386 processor.  However, you cannot run OS/2 programs in
>this environment.

I don't know about your version of OS/2 but on the version I am running
(OS/2 1.0 SE) my OS/2 sessions continue to run in the background when
I switch to the dos compatibility box!  Where did you get your info?

-Rudi Halbright
 rh1m@andrew.cmu.edu