[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Gateway 2000 - caution.

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (06/23/89)

Whine time!

I bought a Gateway 2000 29 days ago specifically to do Windows programming and
word processing (I am a student programmer!). Boy, did they take me on a ride.
Apart from extremely unstable hardware, they are not even 50% compatible.
Windows/386 just wont run (by their own admittance after the sale), windows 286
runs but can't use Smartdrv, Lotus Manuscript won't preview... etc etc etc.

Their technical support people are nice and polite, but ill qualified; they
seem to think that all the entire computing world wonts to do is ape over
DESKView. (That seems to be the only program that works).

So in closing, I strongly caution anybody who is considering their machine. Once
again, it is not even close to compatible.

Also, after a month and a half of utter waste, I am back in the 386 20MHz
market. If someone can recommend a reasonably priced machine that runs
windows/386 in High Res mode, and has a generally good reliability, I would
*really* appreciate any and all email. I just can't believe what any mail
order salesman says anymore...

Thanks, and thanks for bearing with me.

Milan.
.

jfm@maiden.med.unc.edu (John F. Miller) (06/27/89)

In article <111700110@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I bought a Gateway 2000 29 days ago specifically to do Windows programming and
>word processing (I am a student programmer!). Boy, did they take me on a ride.
>Apart from extremely unstable hardware, they are not even 50% compatible.
>Windows/386 just wont run (by their own admittance after the sale), windows 286
>runs but can't use Smartdrv, Lotus Manuscript won't preview... etc etc etc.

A friend of mine bought a Gateway 2000 386-25 several months ago and has
been quite pleased with it.  In addition, it DOES run Windows/386 with no
difficulty.  The few problems that he had were solved quickly and
efficiently by Gateway, and he said he would not hesitate to buy another
system from them.  (Incidentally, he uses the system primarily for
database management and accounting software development using Clipper.)

I have no connection with Gateway 2000, except that I am considering
buying a system from them.

  John F. Miller
  Department of Pharmacology, UNC-CH School of Medicine
  1026A FLOB  (231H) CB#7365

ugbell@sunybcs.uucp (William Bell) (06/28/89)

To: mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
Subject: Re: Gateway 2000 - caution.
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Bcc:
	Well, I bought a Rose Hill System 386 with 20 Mhz for
under $3000 which included EGA, 65Meg RLL HD, 1 Meg, etc.
I will be trying out WIndows 386 so let me know if you are interested.
There # is 18002487673. So far I am satisfied.