[comp.sys.ibm.pc] External 3 1/2" Floppy

burkett@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Edward W Burkett) (06/20/89)

I have a Leading Edge Model D with the following installed:

640 K
2400 baud modem
5 1/4 in. floppy
30 meg Seagate HD
DOS 3.2

What I would like to do is add an EXTERNAL 3 1/2 in. drive.
The question is HOW?

1)  The LE only has two connectors on the power supply.
       1 - for the HD
       1 - for the 3 1/4 in floppy

2)  The LE has the floppy controller built into the mother board.
       Will that controller work or do I need another?

I would like info on what I need to know to do this.
Any help would be appreciated.

hollen@zeta.megatek.uucp (Dion Hollenbeck) (06/21/89)

From article <3007@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>, by burkett@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Edward W Burkett):
> I have a Leading Edge Model D with the following installed:
>
> 640 K
> 2400 baud modem
> 5 1/4 in. floppy
> 30 meg Seagate HD
> DOS 3.2
>
> What I would like to do is add an EXTERNAL 3 1/2 in. drive.
> The question is HOW?
>
> 1)  The LE only has two connectors on the power supply.
>        1 - for the HD
>        1 - for the 3 1/4 in floppy
>
> 2)  The LE has the floppy controller built into the mother board.
>        Will that controller work or do I need another?
>
> I would like info on what I need to know to do this.
> Any help would be appreciated.

Here are some things you can do, but with some cautions.  You can do
these IFF:

1)	Your power supply has enough wattage to handle an extra drive
	(has nothing to do with number of connectors).
2)	Your BIOS does not disallow flopy drive numbers beyond 0.
3)	Your floppy controller does not disallow floppy drive numbers
	beyond 0.
4)	If the model D is an XT style, if you  can set the config
	switches for 2 floppies, or if AT, you cna run setup
	and it will let you tell it you have 2 floppies.

If your internal power supply has enough power for two floppies, merely
buy a "Y" connector  and draw power for both floppies from the same
connector which supplied it to the first one.  Make a 5 wire extension
for the external one with #12 wire to go out of the cabinet (#12 to
ensure not too much power loss through resistance).

If your power supply is small or marginal, you can but external floppy
cabinets with built in power suppplies to supply the floppy without
using the internal power supply.

Now that you have power, you need to get the drive control signals
out to the external drive.  This requires a 34 pin flat cable, similar
to the one which currently goes to your first floppy drive.  There are
two ways to cable two drives.
1)	Cable is straight through to both drives and drive A is
	jumpered as drive select 0 (small jumper block near ribbon
	cable connector).
2)	Cable is twisted (drive select, motor enable) the twisted
	part going to the A: drive and the straight part going
	to the B: drive.  Both drives are jumpered as drive 1.
The preferred way is  number 2.  The reason is that for some reason,
flopy drives do not answer up too well when jumpered as drive 0.
By making them both drive 1 and twisting the cable, you have fooled
drive A: into answering up to drive select 0.  You can find out how
to twist the cable by looking inside any standard PC with two floppies.

The cable could be made in any manner, but I suggest that the best
would be to put the appropriate 34pin connector for your motherboard
in the center with the twisted side of the cable being short and going
to your internal floppy and the long side snaking out between the case
and out to the external drive.

Some people may mention about radiated emissions, and I realize that with
unshielded ribbon cable, this may be a problem.  There are two solutions.
1)	Do a whole lot of soldering and create a cable which uses
	round shielded cable to be the extension for the external
	drive.
2)	Wrap the whole flat cable in several thick layers of
	aluminum foil.  (I suggest this unless you love to solder).

Hope this helps.  I have done this for a numbe of years.  I currently
have a PC with 4 drives, 2 internal and 2 external, both working off
the same floppy card and an AT with one internal and one external
drive on the same card.  I'm real pissed off that whoever conceived
the AT style setup program decided that you could not be allowed more
than 2 floppies.  Even though my controller card is set up for 4
drives, the BIOS will not recognize more than 2.  BTW, anybody know
of a BIOS which will recognize 4 floppies?

	Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814
	Megatek Corporation, 9645 Scranton Road, San Diego, CA  92121

                                seismo!s3sun!megatek!hollen
                                ames!scubed/

rlh@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Ramon L. Holt) (06/27/89)

In article <3007@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> burkett@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Edward W Burkett) writes:
>I have a Leading Edge Model D with the following installed:
>
>640 K
>2400 baud modem
>5 1/4 in. floppy
>30 meg Seagate HD
>DOS 3.2
>
>What I would like to do is add an EXTERNAL 3 1/2 in. drive.
>The question is HOW?
>
>1)  The LE only has two connectors on the power supply.
>       1 - for the HD
>       1 - for the 3 1/4 in floppy
                   ^^^
   I'll assume that 3 should be a 5.

The 3.5 inch external drive and controller card that I tried to put
into one of our LE's came with a power connector that looped into the
existing floppy power plug.  Such that you plugged power connector
that normally goes into the 5 1/4 drive into the 3.5 controller card
and the 3.5 controller card had a cord that then plugged into the 5 1/4
drive completing the loop.  So both cards and drives are installed.

>2)  The LE has the floppy controller built into the mother board.
>       Will that controller work or do I need another?

The 3.5 drive I have came with a half length controller card.

I did the same thing with the controller card that I did with the
power connector.  I took the controller ribbon cord that went from the
motherboard to the 5 1/4 drive and put it on the 3.5 controller card
and took the ribbon cord that came with my 3.5 controller card and
plugged that into the 5 1/4 drive, completing the loop.

This same hookup works no problems on my AST Premium 286, so that is how I
tried it on the LE.

But I could never get DOS to boot on the LE this way. It would newer find
a drive to boot off of (I think). We tried a couple of different wire
combinations like putting in the 5 1/4 ribbon first then the 3.5 controller
instead of the other way around.  Finally, we gave up and pulled all the
stuff off and every other time it booted we would get a memory parity error.
And when we tried to run different programs the error would show up and
halt the program, so we called our service people (who dred the day they
contracted with us to service all our machines, including the LE's).

The service people took it to the shop and said it was a controller
card problem; swapped that out and brought it back and it still didn't
work. So its been in service for about two months now and we have
essentially written it off.

I hate LE's!

My advice would be to get someone who can guarentee their work to do it, or
get original LE parts and a good installation manual.
--
Ramon L. Holt				Franklin Mortgage Capital Corp.
(703) 448-3300				7900 Westpark Drive, Suite A-130

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) (06/27/89)

In article <587@megatek.UUCP>, hollen@zeta.megatek.uucp (Dion Hollenbeck) writes:
> than 2 floppies.  Even though my controller card is set up for 4
> drives, the BIOS will not recognize more than 2.  BTW, anybody know
> of a BIOS which will recognize 4 floppies?

	I'm not sure if this counts. My Wells-American CompuStar is equipped
with 2 3.5" and one each of the 5.25" drives, four in all. The config.sys
file contains the Wells' supplied DISKETTE.SYS and the PCDOS-supplied
DRIVER.SYS.  Together, this, along with the hard drive, takes me to drive F.
	The IBM BIOS mandates that the hard drive be C. However, the
aforementioned device drivers seem to let the additional logical drives
actually represent additional physical drives, but again, without the
CONFIG.SYS entries, those drives are  not recognized. Maybe the answer to
the question is that a true IBM compatible BIOS that recognizes 4 drives
a priori is impossible, but that the little fact doesn't stop people from
actually having four drives through more elaborate schemes...
--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 4.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine

earl@trsvax.UUCP (06/29/89)

/* ---------- "Re: External 3 1/2" Floppy" ---------- */
In article <587@megatek.UUCP>, hollen@zeta.megatek.uucp (Dion Hollenbeck) writes:
> than 2 floppies.  Even though my controller card is set up for 4
> drives, the BIOS will not recognize more than 2.  BTW, anybody know
> of a BIOS which will recognize 4 floppies?

	I'm not sure if this counts. My Wells-American CompuStar is equipped
with 2 3.5" and one each of the 5.25" drives, four in all. The config.sys
file contains the Wells' supplied DISKETTE.SYS and the PCDOS-supplied
DRIVER.SYS.  Together, this, along with the hard drive, takes me to drive F.
	The IBM BIOS mandates that the hard drive be C. However, the
aforementioned device drivers seem to let the additional logical drives
actually represent additional physical drives, but again, without the
CONFIG.SYS entries, those drives are  not recognized. Maybe the answer to
the question is that a true IBM compatible BIOS that recognizes 4 drives
a priori is impossible, but that the little fact doesn't stop people from
actually having four drives through more elaborate schemes...
--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 4.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine
              (1935-14E Eastchester Rd., Bronx NY 10461, 212-931-2517)
                          "Well, do you see the spaghetti?"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

     Manzanna, has a system where they can let you connect several diskette
     drives to on machine (3-4-5-6 or more). They normally use a special
     multiplexor board in series with the FD controller. But on older IBM
     type machines, they use the external drive cable connector. They have
     a special "3FIVE.SYS" driver program that allows you to hook up extra
     drives. For example, on a three floppy and 1 hard disk system with a
     RAMDISK too; A: and B: are the normal floppies, C: is the hard disk,
     D: is the ramdisk, and E: becomes the external 3.5" floppy drive.
     Thus the extra floppy diskette drives go out after the normal diskette
     drives are used as far as drive names are concerned.

     If your machine supports it you can use driver.sys and drvparm.sys, etc.
     and the extra floppy drives would come after your normal system drives.
     But not everyone's machines support these drivers.

<This information is provided by an individual and is not nor should be
 construed  as  being  provided  by  Radio  Shack or Tandy Corp.  Radio
 Shack/Tandy Corp has no obligation to support the information provided
 in  any way. >

						Earl W. Bollinger
						@ <trsvax!earl>

"You were in the Clone Wars!", said Luke excitedly.
"Yes", replied Obi Wan, "I was a DOS programmer. But that was before the dark
 times, before OS2."