[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Wanted...Unix for PC

jagrogan@vax1.tcd.ie (05/25/89)

Hi
   Can anyone out there recommend a good version of Unix for a PC?
If anyone knows of one or can even give me a copy of one, I would be
very grateful.

John Grogan, Dept. of Computer Science, Trinity College Dublin.

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (05/26/89)

In article <43670@vax1.tcd.ie> jagrogan@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
|   Can anyone out there recommend a good version of Unix for a PC?
|If anyone knows of one or can even give me a copy of one, I would be
|very grateful.

If you have a 386, I recommend Interactive Systems Corp's 386/ix.
It's SysV with some BSD (no jobs, though).  Works pretty well on a 4Mb
system with 60Mb disk, pretty easy to install.  If you want X windows,
make it about an 8Mb system.

If you don't have a 386, SCO XENIX is about the only choice.  There's
also MINIX, a teaching aid that is a complete reimplementation of
Version 7 that runs on 8088, but that's not recommended for people who
don't want to tinker.  Source is included with MINIX.

If you'd like more in-depth information about any of these, email me
and I'll supply it.

jim frost
software tool & die
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

>In article <43670@vax1.tcd.ie> jagrogan@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>|   Can anyone out there recommend a good version of Unix for a PC?
>|If anyone knows of one or can even give me a copy of one, I would be
>|very grateful.

We use and recommend SCO Xenix V/386.

I've had problems with Interactive 386/ix, which are still unresolved after
months of haggling with them.  SCO has never had a serious problem that the
maker was unable or unwilling to fix in my experience.

SCO is a little more expensive, but you do get what you pay for.  Xenix has
a few things that the others leave out too, like "dbm" (a database primitive
package).  Both 386/ix and SCO will run each other's binaries at this point.

---
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.  "Quality Solutions at a Fair Price"

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (06/01/89)

In article <[3491.2]comp.ibmpc;1@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
|Both 386/ix and SCO will run each other's binaries at this point.

That depends on what you mean by "run".  While I personally haven't
tried running 386/ix binaries on XENIX, we found that XENIX binaries
that altered character processing (eg CBREAK) didn't work correctly
under 386/ix (the simplest example is the XENIX binary for urogue).

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

>Response 3 of 3 (3491) by madd at bu-cs.BU.EDU on Thu 01 Jun 89 11:42
>[Jim Frost]
>
>In article <[3491.2]comp.ibmpc;1@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl
>Denninger) writes:
>
>|Both 386/ix and SCO will run each other's binaries at this point.
>
>That depends on what you mean by "run".  While I personally haven't
>tried running 386/ix binaries on XENIX, we found that XENIX binaries
>that altered character processing (eg CBREAK) didn't work correctly
>under 386/ix (the simplest example is the XENIX binary for urogue).

Uh, you do realize that the Xenix rogue game (in the /usr/games directory)
is an 8086 (that's right, 8086) binary, do you not?

COSMOS and AKCS Xenix binaries, both of which alter character processing, run
correctly on 386/ix V2.0.1.  These are 80386 binaries; I have not yet tried
'286 code.  COSMOS contains calls to system routines that don't exist on
386/ix -- yet it works -- unchanged! (specific example -- "nap()")

In fact, one of these sites is running AKCS in production mode (ie: users on
without any knowledge of what they're doing), and it works fine.

AKCS's internal full-screen editor is about as "wierd on the terminal modes"
as you can get -- it's a full screen curses implementation, and goes into
and out of CBREAK and RAW modes many during the posting of a message (this
is what I am posting the response you are reading now from).

Again, these are all '386 programs.  I have also successfully run programs
that use shared libs from the 386/ix system (as well as Microport's 386
implementation) on Xenix 2.3, and they also worked without complaint or
problem.

I'll try a '286 and 8086 program and see what it does; perhaps there is a
problem there.  Then again, the ability to run these AT ALL is far beyond
anything 386/ix can pretend to do in COFF format....

---
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.  "Quality Solutions at a Fair Price"

zs04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Zachary T. Smith) (06/25/89)

Although most everybody is proclaiming SCO's version
of system V Unix to be the standard for 386 PCs, you may
want to consider something less expensive, such as
ENIX (Everex Unix V.3.2, based on AT&T's V.3.2 for the
386) or Microport system V for the 386.

A two-user ENIX system with C compiler (and awk and
mail and everything) and X Window Ver 11R3 (EGA/VGA)
costs only $600. -- A far cry from the approx $1500 you'd
have to shell out for what people are calling the undis-
puted standard. (Choke, cough, wheeze.)

A think the equivalent uPort system is around $1000, but
that's just a guess.

Considering that both SCO Unix and ENIX V.3.2 are
designed to 'be' the same AT&T V.3.2, and that, in fact,
virtually all flavors on 386 Unix or Xenix are binary
compatible (they all follow the same standards), I'm
pretty sure I won't be coughing up any blood for SCO.

ENIX is VP/ix-ready (or actually an enhanced version
of it), amoung other things.

Besides ENIX you may want to look at Microport's
System V implementation. I haven't actually got the
main-office phone #'s for either on hand, but I do have
the number for ENIX tech support: (213) 598-2794.

Please note I have zero affiliation with either ENIX
or Microport, I'm just offering advice.

-Zach Smith (zs04@andrew.cmu.edu)

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (06/26/89)

In an earlier article zs04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Zachary T. Smith) writes:

>Although most everybody is proclaiming SCO's version
>of system V Unix to be the standard for 386 PCs, you may
>want to consider something less expensive, such as
>ENIX (Everex Unix V.3.2, based on AT&T's V.3.2 for the
>386)...
>
>A two-user ENIX system with C compiler (and awk and
>mail and everything) and X Window Ver 11R3 (EGA/VGA)
>costs only $600. -- A far cry from the approx $1500 you'd
>have to shell out for what people are calling the undis-
>puted standard. (Choke, cough, wheeze.)

(By the way - ENIX is now Officially "ESIX."  I always thought
"EVERIX" would be a great name...)

You also get TCP/IP with Ethernet drivers for WD8003E, a 3Com board
(3C501? 3C503? - I forget...), and an Everex Ethernet card.
Includes telnet, telnetd, ftp and ftpd.  (However I'm having
discussions w/ ESIX about a problem with the ftp that I expect will
be cleared up shortly.)

You also get a 2 kbyte Files system and a XENIX file
system-compatibility package.  (I've not used these, however.)

>ENIX is VP/ix-ready (or actually an enhanced version
>of it), amoung other things.

Uh, that's AT&T's SIMULTASK.. I understand that Locus's DOS/Merge
_MIGHT_ be in the works, too, but don't hold either ESIX or me to
that as a "done deal."

>Please note I have zero affiliation with either ENIX
>or Microport, I'm just offering advice.

Me, too.

kEITHe

barton@holston.UUCP (barton) (06/27/89)

In article <sYdA45y00WBn01UUYc@andrew.cmu.edu>, zs04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Zachary T. Smith) writes:

> Although most everybody is proclaiming SCO's version
> of system V Unix to be the standard for 386 PCs, you may
> want to consider something less expensive, such as
> ENIX (Everex Unix V.3.2, based on AT&T's V.3.2 for the
> 386) or Microport system V for the 386.

Don't expect too much from Microport, they just filed for Chapter 11
protection.
--
Barton A. Fisk          | UUCP: {texbell,uunet}!warble!holston!barton
PO Box 1781             | DOMAIN: barton@holston

uri@arnor.UUCP (Uri Blumenthal) (06/29/89)

From article <5442@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM>, by keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson):
>>ENIX is VP/ix-ready (or actually an enhanced version
>>of it), amoung other things.
>
> Uh, that's AT&T's SIMULTASK.. I understand that Locus's DOS/Merge
> _MIGHT_ be in the works, too, but don't hold either ESIX or me to
> that as a "done deal."

It can run VP/ix (v.1.0.1 from ix/386 v.1.0.6 was tested) - but to get VP/ix
from Interactive is not that cheap ! (though AT&T SimulTask is more expensive
(:-(

Uri.