[comp.sys.ibm.pc] strangeness with arcs

chinn@osf.OSF.ORG (David Chinn) (06/29/89)

I decided to try to do some pd software; hist14, tk_ls
and a couple of others.  The last time I did tried to unpack
something I was using an old version of arc.

Well the old version didn't understand tk_ls, so I downloaded
pkpak and arc520 from a bulletin board.  These gave me pkunpak,
arc, and arce, among other things.

Using pkunpak on tk_ls gives me a checksum error.  I tried using
arce as well, and also come out with garbage.  Running arc x on
tk_ls hangs the system after telling me it finds ls.c (after reboot,
there is a zero length ls.c in the directory. ls.c (the result
of tk_ls) seems to be okay at first, but then it looks like the
unpackers get confused, and after about 10 lines its garbage.

The checksums and size checked out okay on the archive. Further,
the same thing happens when I tried to unpak hist14.

Even worse, I find I cannot remove the directories which I tried
unpacking the stuff in.  Error message tells me that the direcory
is not empty.  I've run chkdsk on the disk and it doesn't tell me
about any but the normal invisible files (I only have the two system
ones).  I have the feeling that something didn't get reset when I had
to reboot after using arc x.

I am running dos 3.1 on a pc clone (fivestar FS286).

Please send me mail, as I don't usually read this group

					thanks in advance

UUCP:  ...uunet!osf.org!chinn                               david m chinn
ARPA:  chinn@osf.org                                   Open Software Foundation

DISCLAIMER: My employers would never be so foolish as to agree with anything I say.

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (06/30/89)

In article <1463@osf.OSF.ORG> chinn@osf.OSF.ORG (David Chinn) writes:

>Well the old version didn't understand tk_ls, so I downloaded
>pkpak and arc520 from a bulletin board.  These gave me pkunpak,
>arc, and arce, among other things.
< etc describing strife in trying to unpack.

1) The latest version of arc is 6.02
2) The most common cause for trouble is not in unpacking problems
but the users failure to set the file type binary when transferring
the file to one's PC.

Prof. Timo Salmi                                (Site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun