[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 2 hard disks/2 floppies, dos and xenix

conan@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert B Carroll) (06/16/89)

I'm in the process of setting up a 386 machine to run MS-DOS and
Xenix. I plan to use the following disk drive setup:

western digital controller(controls 2 floppies and 2 hard disks)
  can't remember model #.

seagate model 4096(something like that) 80Mb hard disk for xenix

30-40 Mb hard disk for ms-dos

1.2 Mb 5 1/4 floppy

1.44 Mb 3 1/2 floppy

My questions are:

1) will there be any problems handling the hard disks/ controller
   for dos or xenix?
2) will the 1.2 Mb floppy read/write/format 360K disks?
3) will the 1.44 Mb drive read/write/format 720K floppies?

Any help would be appreciated. I have my reasons for this setup.
I may change it depending on the answers of the above questions.
please send email to:
--
conan@vax1.acs.udel.edu OR conan@192.5.57.1
CONAN THE BARBARIAN of Cimmeria

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (William Davidsen) (06/16/89)

The setup you want to run works. I would suggest placing DOS on the
first hard disk with xenix, so that you can use the 'dos' boot option
in xenix (boot either without using a floppy). Xenix handles a 2nd hard
drive seemlessly, so you can easily use the rest of the space on the
first hard disk and all of the space on the 2nd.

All the usual caveats about 360 in a 1200k drive: format it in the 1200k
drive, write it in the 1200k drive. *don't* write/format it in a 360k
drive then modify it in a 1200k drive. Sometimes it works, maybe even
most of the time on some drives, but there are good technical reasons
why it can result in a disk which won't read on a 360k drive. 720 on a
1.44 doesn't have this problem, again good technical reasons, often
discussed here before.

Question you didn't ask: I have had very good luck using the Archive
tape drive with Xenix and DOS, for what it's worth. I have also used the
Wangtek, and it's satisfactory but not my first choice.
	bill davidsen		(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen

ske@pkmab.se (Kristoffer Eriksson) (06/21/89)

In article <822@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>The setup you want to run works. I would suggest placing DOS on the
>first hard disk with xenix, so that you can use the 'dos' boot option
>in xenix (boot either without using a floppy).

On my system (Xenix/386 2.3), I have patched the "dos" boot program to
load DOS from the second hard disk. I have Xenix on the entire first hard
disk, and DOS on the entire second hard disk. Very convinient. (Why isn't
this in the original boot program?)
--
Kristoffer Eriksson, Peridot Konsult AB, Hagagatan 6, S-703 40 Oerebro, Sweden
Phone: +46 19-13 03 60  !  e-mail: ske@pkmab.se

stuart@bms-at.UUCP (Stuart Gathman) (06/30/89)

> On my system (Xenix/386 2.3), I have patched the "dos" boot program to

I had no problems patching the "dos" boot program, but PC-DOS refused to
run from the second disk.  There was no inherent reason.  I traced and dis-
assembled about a dozen stages of the DOS boot process, patching code
of the form:

	cmp DL,80H
	jnz error

to NOPs getting further and further each time.  After three hours of this
nonsense, I gave up and decided that if MS didn't want me to boot DOS
from the second drive, I wasn't going to fight it.  This was PCDOS 3.1.

Is this behaviour removed in more recent releases?  Is it only in
IBM versions?
--
Stuart D. Gathman	<stuart@bms-at.uucp>
			<..!{vrdxhq|daitc}!bms-at!stuart>