[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Does ANYONE know of a network aware graphics package?

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (06/28/89)

We've evaluated several different graphing and drawing packages for
the PC and while we've come across some that are quite powerful, none
seem to be able to be installed very cleanly on a network. We particularly
find that all the Windows-based stuff is retched when it comes to network
awareness (not to mention being slow and unreliable). But, I figure someone
out there using a Novell network must have found a suitable network aware
graphing and/or drawing package. Please, talk to me!

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

angelini@irisa.irisa.fr (Pierre Antoine Angelini) (06/28/89)

In article <1974@aucs.UUCP>, peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
> We've evaluated several different graphing and drawing packages for
> the PC and while we've come across some that are quite powerful, none
> seem to be able to be installed very cleanly on a network. We particularly
> find that all the Windows-based stuff is retched when it comes to network
> awareness (not to mention being slow and unreliable). But, I figure someone
> out there using a Novell network must have found a suitable network aware
> graphing and/or drawing package. Please, talk to me!
>
> --
> Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
> Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121
> UUCP: {uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!Peter
> BITNET: Peter@Acadia  Internet: Peter%Acadia.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

I have been searching for that kind of package for weeks ,too and agree
with your comments about Windows-based packages.
I red an article in Pc-Tech about CoPlot,CoDraw and CoStat (CoHort Software
P.O Box 1149, Berkeley, CA 94701)( Phone : (415) 524-9878). I received some
informations about those softwares and decided to buy CoPlot and CoDraw.
I'm still waiting for them, so I can't tell you if they are what they claim
to be.
But:
They are low priced ($99 each or $259 for the whole package), run with or
without mouse, support CGA,EGA,VGA,MCGA,ATT6300 and Hercules screens and
a lot of printers ,including HPGL plotters and PostScript printers, and
they don't need to run under Windows ....

I hope this will help you.
Ps: I'm using a PC-NFS Lan (not a Novell Lan), but that should'nt be a problem
for you.
Pierre Antoine ANGELINI
IFSIC/IRISA
Campus de Beaulieu
Universite de Rennes I
Avenue General Leclerc
35042 RENNES CEDEX - FRANCE
Tel : 99.36.20.00

scotth@grebyn.com (Scott Hutchinson) (06/30/89)

	There are packages and public domain (or shareware?) that will
trick tha average program into thinking its running locally, while in
fact it is on the network.  If anyone would like info, just drop me a
line.

					Scott Hutchinson
					VANCE Systems Inc.
					Chantilly, VA 22021
					(703) 471-9402

--
                                     -Scott H. Hutchinson
Standard Disclamers:  These opinions are mine, they do not reflect on my