[comp.sys.ibm.pc] SCSI drive info anyone?

yon@apollo.COM (David Yon) (06/29/89)

Hi all,

	What do people out on the net know about SCSI drives for the AT?
I'm looking into either the ST138 or ST157 with the ST02 Seagate SCSI/FDC
interface.

	What I'm curious to know is, how does the AT BIOS know how to inter-
face to the drive if you have a SCSI port in the way?  Does the BIOS have
built-in code to recognize that a SCSI port is in the system (which I doubt)
or does the SCSI port look remarkably like a drive controller board (which I
would also doubt).   Is it really as easy as telling the AT the drive parameters
and it all just magically works?  Also, I would like to continue using Disk
Technician+ with the new drive, does anyone have any experience at using
Disk Technician with a SCSI drive?

	Thanks...

David Yon

dold@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (06/29/89)

in article <441b1d44.1042a@apollo.COM>, yon@apollo.COM (David Yon) says:

> 	What I'm curious to know is, how does the AT BIOS know how to inter-
> face to the drive if you have a SCSI port in the way?  Does the BIOS have
> built-in code to recognize that a SCSI port is in the system (which I doubt)
> or does the SCSI port look remarkably like a drive controller board (which I
> would also doubt).

There are two answers, in the case of the Unisys 6000/50.

Our BIOS does have special code, to use our controller, as if it were ST506.
MSDOS, and any program using BIOS or DOS access to the disk is unaware that
a SCSI controller is there.

XENIX, which goes directly to the controller, not using BIOS calls,
won't recognize the SCSI controller without a special driver.
--
---
Clarence A Dold - dold@tsmiti.Convergent.COM		(408) 434-5293

rmk@frog.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (06/30/89)

In article <441b1d44.1042a@apollo.COM> yon@apollo.COM (David Yon) writes:
>	What I'm curious to know is, how does the AT BIOS know how to inter-
>face to the drive if you have a SCSI port in the way?  Does the BIOS have
>built-in code to recognize that a SCSI port is in the system (which I doubt)
>or does the SCSI port look remarkably like a drive controller board (which I
>would also doubt).   Is it really as easy as telling the AT the drive parameters
>and it all just magically works?  Also, I would like to continue using Disk
>Technician+ with the new drive, does anyone have any experience at using
>Disk Technician with a SCSI drive?
>
>	Thanks...
>
>David Yon

The SCSI disk controller has an extended BIOS rom that get loaded at boot
time.  The system will basically timeout looking for a normal floppy or
winchester, and then use the extended BIOS code to poll the SCSI bus.
If it finds a bootable device, you're up and away.

I have been told that Seagate's SCSI boards are excellent.

Rick Kelly
Test Engineering
Charles River Data Systems
983 Concord St.