[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Looking for a Sync/Async modem for PC/XT

jacquemin-michel@CS.YALE.EDU (Michel Jacquemin) (06/19/89)

I am looking for any information about synchronous 2400bps modems
for a PC/XT compatible.  I would use it to connect to an IBM
mainframe (using the BSC3780 bisynchronous protocol).

Has anybody done this?  Any information about synchronous modems would
be appreciated.  Being able to do async 2400bps (V.22 bis) as well
would be a plus.  Internal preferred.

Michel Jacquemin
   jacquemin@cs.yale.edu
   ...!uunet!yale!jacquemin
   Jacquemin-Michel@YaleCS.BITNET
"L'ouie de l'oie de Louis a oui ce que toute oie oie", Raymond Devos

psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (06/23/89)

In article <64114@yale-celray.yale.UUCP>, jacquemin-michel@CS.YALE.EDU (Michel Jacquemin) writes:
> I am looking for any information about synchronous 2400bps modems
> for a PC/XT compatible.  I would use it to connect to an IBM
> mainframe (using the BSC3780 bisynchronous protocol).

I'm not a modem expert, so take this with a grain of salt.  First of
all, while it's a good idea to say what you're going to do with what
you're looking for, I think that any synchronous modem should handle
any synchronous protocol (bisync, SNA, X.25, whatever).

> Being able to do async 2400bps (V.22 bis) as well would be a plus.

I know that 212-compatible modems can handle either async or sync . . .

> Internal preferred.

. . . but this won't happen.  I'm pretty sure that internal modems have
the equivalent of both an async adapter and a modem (except for the
power supply).  I'm almost positive that 1200 bps internal modems
specifically say they're async only.  (I'm not a V.anything guru, so
things could be different here.)

As for a recommendation:  I'm not that familiar with our modems, and I
don't have a product manual here at home, so I recommend you talk with
an AT&T account executive.  (Hey, he *asked*!)

> Michel Jacquemin, jacquemin@cs.yale.edu, ...!uunet!yale!jacquemin,
> Jacquemin-Michel@YaleCS.BITNET

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!pegasus!psrc, psrc@pegasus.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.

> "L'ouie de l'oie de Louis a oui ce que toute oie oie", Raymond Devos
(I loved it when they sang this song in ANIMAL HOUSE, didn't you?-)

durham@handel.mpr.ca (Paul Durham) (06/24/89)

In article <595@pegasus.ATT.COM> psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:
>In article <64114@yale-celray.yale.UUCP>, jacquemin-michel@CS.YALE.EDU (Michel Jacquemin) writes:
>> I am looking for any information about synchronous 2400bps modems
>> for a PC/XT compatible.  I would use it to connect to an IBM
>> mainframe (using the BSC3780 bisynchronous protocol).

>> Being able to do async 2400bps (V.22 bis) as well would be a plus.

>> Internal preferred.

>. . . but this won't happen.  I'm pretty sure that internal modems have
>the equivalent of both an async adapter and a modem (except for the
>power supply).

The Hayes 2400B internal modem handles both sync and async ( as does
the external version ). It handles this by doing an internal sync to
async conversion and moving the data through the 8250 UART ( I am
not making this up ). You need a special driver called the Hayes
Synchronous Driver or some such thing.

There are also firms who sell a sync modem on a card with an 8251 USART
or whatever the PC uses for BSC communications, in fact I think you can
get a complete package with board and 3780 emulator. Try the ads in PC
magazine.

P. Durham

wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) (06/24/89)

For 3780 bisync you probably want a 201C modem.  UDS makes a couple of good
models that will do the trick.

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (07/02/89)

In article <1688@eric.mpr.ca>, durham@handel.mpr.ca (Paul Durham) writes:

> The Hayes 2400B internal modem handles both sync and async ( as does
> the external version ). It handles this by doing an internal sync to
> async conversion and moving the data through the 8250 UART ( I am
> not making this up ). You need a special driver called the Hayes
> Synchronous Driver or some such thing.

Unfortunately the Hayes modems do not support standard synchronous
communications protocols - You can't run BISYNC on them, for example,
unless the modem on the other end is also a Hayes modem.  It can't talk
to standard synchronous modems.

If you think about this it should be obvious that in the general case
there is no way to put a simple sync modem on an async line - even if you
have a UART on the modem to read the line, you don't have any way for the
computer to transmit a frame or to identify an incoming frame;  often
this is important (you don't want to see just streams of bytes in many
synchronous protocols, you want to see complete frames).  The only way
to do it would be define a higher-level (or lower-level, depending on
your point of view) protocol which you could use to talk to the modem
and which would identify the start and end of the frames.  The Hayes
modems have not done this - the data looks more-or-less like a stream of
bytes with no frame markers;  also they use the wrong modulation for a
standard synchronous modem.

Not to say anything particular against the Hayes modems - they are good
products - but they really are not meant as general-purpose synchronous
modems;  the mode is provided so that communication between identical
Hayes modems can be sped up using the sync mode.

						Bruce C. Wright