[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Tables using WordPerfect 5.0

kbe@dde.uucp (Kjeld Borch Egevang) (06/21/89)

I'm using a Canon Laser with a Century font to produce some tables. I was
wondering: how did the WordPerfect guys plan me to use line drawing with
a proportional font? Actually, I can't even draw a box; the lines don't
meet in the corners. For the moment my solution is to make a table (alt-f9)
and use a text file for the table. In the text file, I use Courier and
draws the box as I would have done in WP4.2. Voila, I use tabs in my real
text and set the system up to not wrap text around tables and I've got what
I wanted.

Any better solutions (except those line-draw functions available using
alt-f9)?

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (06/23/89)

In article <176@mother.dde.uucp>, kbe@dde.uucp (Kjeld Borch Egevang) writes:
> I'm using a Canon Laser with a Century font to produce some tables. I was
> wondering: how did the WordPerfect guys plan me to use line drawing with
> a proportional font? Actually, I can't even draw a box; the lines don't
> meet in the corners. For the moment my solution is to make a table (alt-f9)

We've struggled with this one too. In WP5 you can't use line draw
with proportionally spaced fonts. We use line draw only with mono-
spaced fonts such as the Courier or cartridge or soft font Prestige
Elite (that is, if you want 12-pitch line draw) or any other fixed
pitch font.

M Volow, VA Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705
mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP           919 286 0411

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (06/24/89)

In article <7243@ecsvax.UUCP> mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) writes:
>In article <176@mother.dde.uucp>, kbe@dde.uucp (Kjeld Borch Egevang) writes:
>> ...how did the WordPerfect guys plan me to use line drawing with
>> a proportional font? Actually, I can't even draw a box; the lines don't
>> meet in the corners.
>
>We've struggled with this one too. In WP5 you can't use line draw
>with proportionally spaced fonts.

Does the "text in a box" function work for this?  I've only used it once, and
then with somebody who knew what he was doing actually at the controls.
Look it up and see if that's a solution.

kEITHe

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (06/26/89)

In article <7243@ecsvax.UUCP> mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) writes:
>In article <176@mother.dde.uucp>, kbe@dde.uucp (Kjeld Borch Egevang) writes:
>> [...]how did the WordPerfect guys plan me to use line drawing with
>> a proportional font? Actually, I can't even draw a box; the lines don't
>> meet in the corners. For the moment my solution is to make a table (alt-f9)

>We've struggled with this one too. In WP5 you can't use line draw
>with proportionally spaced fonts. We use line draw only with mono-
>spaced fonts such as the Courier or cartridge or soft font Prestige
>Elite (that is, if you want 12-pitch line draw) or any other fixed
>pitch font.

Here how to do it:

1. Set tabs and type in the proportional spaced text so that it will appear
   where you want it. Make a note of the positions where you want the lines
   to go.

2. Use set base font command, selecting the current base font.  Hit left-arrow
   and set base font to Courier. (Thus the font will be courier between the
   base font commands.)

3. Use the advance line command (under Format/Other) to (logically) move to
   the upper left corner of the text.

4. Now use the ctrl-F3 line drawing feature to draw the boxes, making use of
   the positions noted earlier.

5. Use page preview to check your work.

Actually I prefer to use the Alt-F9 line draw or table (possibly because
until recently WP 5 did not support the character line draw to Postscript
printers).  Perhaps version 5.1 will fix this all up for us.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

ecf_urjc@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Richard J Caserta) (06/28/89)

In article <5430@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
>In article <7243@ecsvax.UUCP> mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) writes:
>>In article <176@mother.dde.uucp>, kbe@dde.uucp (Kjeld Borch Egevang) writes:
>>> ...how did the WordPerfect guys plan me to use line drawing with
>>> a proportional font? Actually, I can't even draw a box; the lines don't
>>> meet in the corners.
>>
>>We've struggled with this one too. In WP5 you can't use line draw
>>with proportionally spaced fonts.

But it can be done, even with PS fonts!  I assume that users want to fill
a box with text.

1. Draw the box first.  Note the position of the left edge of the box.
2. Set ONE tab to the position of the left edge of the box (e.g. 7.2").
3. In "Typeover" mode, type the text you want to fill the box.
4. To be "safe", delete all spaces between the text and the drawn line
   on the left edge of the box (for each line of text).
5. At the end of each line of text, hit the tab.  The left edge line will
   move to your tab stop (which you should have set to line up with the
   left edge line).

I just figured this out today and it works!  You may need to play with the
line height as well to prevent little gaps between lines.  As far as being
unable to draw a box with proper corners, I have found that you have to
do some matching of the line types used in drawing, especially when you use
different types.  Not all combinations of lines will meet at corners.

Good luck!

Rich Caserta
Homewood Academic Computing
Johns Hopkins University
Baltimore, MD 21218           ecf_urjc@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu
--
Rich Caserta                ecf_urjc@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu
Johns Hopkins University    l64a4972@jhuvm.hcf.jhu.edu

In article <5430@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:

>>We've struggled with this one too. In WP5 you can't use line draw
>>with proportionally spaced fonts.

>Does the "text in a box" function work for this?

Yes, the graphic boxes and lines and text boxes use measurement-based
positioning and work with proportional fonts.  It is a lot of work to
position everything and the only way to get existing text in a box
is to create the text box, then move the text into it.

This is one area where MS Word is much easier to use than WP.  Word
lets you specify a border as part of a paragraph format and vertical
lines (that close properly with the border) can be positioned in the
tab settings.  That can all be saved as a style, so you can import
an area from a lotus file (directly), apply the style to set up the
tab settings and lines and print.  If you want more horizontal lines,
just add paragraph breaks.

Les Mikesell

jian@prodix.liu.se (Jian Hu) (06/29/89)

In article <8790@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
> ... lines deleted ...

>This is one area where MS Word is much easier to use than WP.  Word
>lets you specify a border as part of a paragraph format and vertical
>lines (that close properly with the border) can be positioned in the
>tab settings.  That can all be saved as a style, so you can import
>an area from a lotus file (directly), apply the style to set up the
>tab settings and lines and print.  If you want more horizontal lines,
>just add paragraph breaks.

WP 5.0 also has the style function, which is what I use now to draw tables
in prop. spaced fonts.

/Jian Hu

jwi@lzfme.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (06/30/89)

> Jian Hu writes:

> WP 5.0 also has the style function, which is what I use now to draw tables
> in prop. spaced fonts.

How?

Jim Winer ..!lzfme!jwi

Those persons who advocate censorship offend my religion.

Upuaut:	a wolf-headed Egyptian deity | Voodoo: the art of sticking ideas
	assigned as Guidance System  |         into people and watching
	for the Barque of Ra.        |         them bleed.

The opinions expressed here are not necessarily

kevinc@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Kevin Crocker) (06/30/89)

In article <8790@chinet.chi.il.us>, les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
> In article <5430@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
>
> >>We've struggled with this one too. In WP5 you can't use line draw
> >>with proportionally spaced fonts.
> >Does the "text in a box" function work for this?
> Yes, the graphic boxes and lines and text boxes use measurement-based
> positioning and work with proportional fonts.  It is a lot of work to

> This is one area where MS Word is much easier to use than WP.  Word
> lets you specify a border as part of a paragraph format and vertical
> lines (that close properly with the border) can be positioned in the
> tab settings.  That can all be saved as a style, so you can import
> an area from a lotus file (directly), apply the style to set up the
> tab settings and lines and print.  If you want more horizontal lines,
> just add paragraph breaks.

Lotus Manuscript does the same thing but also allows borders to have a
variety of styles (thin, wide, double, and something else).  You can
also use this feature in columns and between columns.  You can save
these as libraries or as style sheets.

One of the nicest features of Manuscript is the automatic import and
hot-link feature with Lotus 123 files.  You can dynamically bring in  a
123 file and set it up the way you want and then whenever that
spreadsheet changes the new values, etc, will be brought in when you
want the next time you access that particular file.

I do quitre a bit of financial reporting and I tweak Balance Sheets and
income statements all the time so this feature is quite a lifesaver.
In fact, it kind of makes the Always add-in useless except for one off
type stuff.

Kevin

--
Kevin "auric" Crocker Athabasca University
UUCP: ...!{alberta,ncc,attvcr}!atha!kevinc

jian@prodix.liu.se (Jian Hu) (06/30/89)

In article <1454@lzfme.att.com> jwi@lzfme.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) writes:

>> Jian Hu writes:
>
>> WP 5.0 also has the style function, which is what I use now to draw tables
>> in prop. spaced fonts.
>
>How?

I`ve already sent a mail to the author of the original question. To answer your
question, I repeat it here:

In WP5.0 I define a paired style (Alt-F8) in which I use Courier as the base
font, and set line space to single. Then I can draw the tables inside the
style as usual. What ever happens outside the style will not affect the
tables. I must say I have no idea how MS WORD works. I`d like to know the
difference. But don`t flame me.
/Jian Hu

In article <106@prodix.liu.se> jian@prodix.liu.se (Jian Hu) writes:

>In WP5.0 I define a paired style (Alt-F8) in which I use Courier as the base
>font, and set line space to single. Then I can draw the tables inside the
>style as usual. What ever happens outside the style will not affect the
>tables. I must say I have no idea how MS WORD works. I`d like to know the
>difference. But don`t flame me.

In Word, formatting is attached to the different objects of text (characters,
paragraphs, divisions), thus there is no need to pair the styles nor to turn
off any commands that don't apply to the next object.  Borders are part of
paragraph formatting, as is the tab setting which can contain vertical lines.
Thus, the procedure is:
Pick a font (proportional is ok).
Set the tab stops with vertical lines so the largest text fits and columns
are alligned as desired (right/left/decimal/centered).
Set the paragraph border type you want, and any other formatting (left or
right indent, line spacing, etc.).
Save this formatting as a style (by giving it a name in the stylesheet).
Subsequently you can import tabbed text or directly from a lotus worksheet,
attach this style and print.  In practice, you would probably have at least
two styles, one with centered titles for a header and another for the
alligned columns of data.  When two bordered paragraphs with identical
widths are printed they are connected with a horizontal line to separate
them.  Note that since the borders and verticals are part of the paragraph
formatting, they expand to fit the amount of text that you have.  In WP,
I have been able to draw similar looking tables using the graphic lines,
but I have to calculate the positioning myself.
The above is for Word 4.0 - I don't know how much has changed in 5.0.

Les Mikesell