[comp.sys.ibm.pc] info wanted about Wordstar 5

tensu@utacs.UTA.FI (Tero Ahtee) (07/03/89)

 Are there in nets any who are using WordStar version 5.0 ?

 Here far in the north local distributors don't know much about WS 5,
but I'm still interesting about buying it (I'm not mad, I have used
WS for five years, from WS2.2 (CP/M) to WS4). Well, I would like to know
if WS5
	a) has PostScript-laser support ?
	b) has dtp-capabilities e.g. load pictures between text ?
	c) it has mouse support, but can I use other mouses than
	   Microsoft original mouse at COM1 ?
	d) any comments about WS5 compared to WS4...?

				Tero

Tero Ahtee = tensu%utacs.uta.fi@uunet.uu.net * Tampere Finland Europe

COMMERCIAL : Why pay less for a better computer - buy IBM !

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (07/04/89)

tensu@utacs.UTA.FI (Tero Ahtee) writes:
> Are there in nets any who are using WordStar version 5.0 ?

I'm using WS 5.5.

> Here far in the north local distributors don't know much about WS 5,
>but I'm still interesting about buying it (I'm not mad, I have used
>WS for five years, from WS2.2 (CP/M) to WS4). Well, I would like to know
>if WS5
>	a) has PostScript-laser support ?
	yes
>	b) has dtp-capabilities e.g. load pictures between text ?
	yes, version 5.5 comes with Inset and the page preview will
	let you see the included picture. An optional program called
	HiJaak will let you convert lots of graphics formats to Inset's
	PIX format. I just got HiJaak today and added some MacPaint files
	to a document with no trouble at all.
>	c) it has mouse support, but can I use other mouses than
>	   Microsoft original mouse at COM1 ?
	I have no idea if it supports mice at all. I didn't see anything
	about it, but then agai I don't use mice, so I didn't look.
>	d) any comments about WS5 compared to WS4...?

WS 5.5 is worlds ahead of WS 4. For instance, it stores the selected printer
as part of the document, so when you go to print it knows which printer driver
to use. It supports fonts. I can switch fonts in the middle of a line and
swicth back after a few words. It has paragraph styles. It has what all the
reviewers call the best preview mode of any of the programs on the market.

It's definitely worth the upgrade.

--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]