[comp.sys.ibm.pc] BEGINNER IN "C"

jack.lupic@canremote.uucp (JACK LUPIC) (06/12/89)

        I would like to start doing some programming in "C" but do not
        have any previous programming experience (even in Basic).

        Can anyone suggest the best route for a beginner to take?

---
 * QDeLuxe 1.10 #1435  Regards,Jack Lupic,Scarborough,Ontario,CANADA

conan@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert B Carroll) (06/21/89)

In article <89061907161304@masnet.uucp> jack.lupic@canremote.uucp (JACK LUPIC) writes:
>        I would like to start doing some programming in "C" but do not
>        have any previous programming experience (even in Basic).
>        Can anyone suggest the best route for a beginner to take?

A good book to buy would be: "Programming in C" by Stephen Kochan.
Better for beginners than Kernighan and Ritchie.

--
conan@vax1.acs.udel.edu OR conan@192.5.57.1
CONAN THE BARBARIAN of Cimmeria

tankus@hsi.UUCP (Ed Tankus) (06/21/89)

In article <3863@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> conan@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert B Carroll) writes:
>In article <89061907161304@masnet.uucp> jack.lupic@canremote.uucp (JACK LUPIC) writes:
>>        I would like to start doing some programming in "C" but do not
>>        have any previous programming experience (even in Basic).
>>        Can anyone suggest the best route for a beginner to take?
>
>A good book to buy would be: "Programming in C" by Stephen Kochan.
>Better for beginners than Kernighan and Ritchie.
>

>--
>conan@vax1.acs.udel.edu OR conan@192.5.57.1
>CONAN THE BARBARIAN of Cimmeria

A new verion by the same author, "Programming in ANSI C", is out.  It
IS much better then trying to learn via K&R.  There are also some C
tutorials that run under DOS that are available from various archives.
I like the C-tutor package though it is a bit dated and leaves some
holes.  I have heard that teach-c is also good.

I believe both are archived at simtel20 and can be retrieved in a
variety of ways.

--
Ed Tankus.
Net  :       {uunet,noao,yale}!hsi!tankus -- OR -- tankus@hsi.com

miken@hpsad.HP.COM (Mike Newell) (06/21/89)

I hope I have my facts straight.

I just completed a beginning C class at a local Junior College.  We used the
book "Learn C" by Microsoft Press.  Book includes a "Learn C" complier, most
features of Quick C but you can't create executable files.  We used "C: A
REFERENCE MANUAL" by Harbinson and Steele, Prentice-Hall publishers, when more
indepth information was needed.

No previous programming experience and you are starting with C?  Good luck.

----------------------------------------|-----------------------------|
Mike Newell				| Hewlett-Packard	      |
miken@hpsad				| Signal Analysis Division    |
(707) 794-4195				| Rohnert Park, CA            |
----------------------------------------|-----------------------------|

hollen@zeta.megatek.uucp (Dion Hollenbeck) (06/22/89)

In article <89061907161304@masnet.uucp> jack.lupic@canremote.uucp (JACK LUPIC) writes:
>        I would like to start doing some programming in "C" but do not
>        have any previous programming experience (even in Basic).
>        Can anyone suggest the best route for a beginner to take?

I would suggest getting a PC magazine and looking for an ad from the
MIX company in Texas who sells POWER C for $19.95.  They not only have
an excellent compiler package for most uses, but their book is geared
for the person who has never programmed in C before and written in
a simple straight-forward manner which I am sure can be understood by
someone who has never programmed before.  It is chocked full of
code fragment examples of how to use C in general and their run-time
library in particular.  They have done an excellent job and I have
never seen a better book for a beginner.  The book alone is worth
the money and you get a compiler thrown in to boot.  By the way,
be sure to get their debugger.  I'm not sure whether you need to
pay an extra $19.95 or whether it is part of the compiler package,
but it is well worth the extra money.

	Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814
	Megatek Corporation, 9645 Scranton Road, San Diego, CA  92121

                                seismo!s3sun!megatek!hollen
                                ames!scubed/

christopher.greaves@canremote.uucp (CHRISTOPHER GREAVES) (07/04/89)

JL>        I would like to start doing some programming in "C" but do not
JL>        have any previous programming experience (even in Basic).

The lowest-cost entry (in dollars) that I know of is MIX-C - I
bought the diskette (compiler & linker) and 430-page book for
$19US froma Toronto distributor.

Dial (214)-783-6001
or   1-800-333-0330 for the local supplier
or check page 283 of BYTE magazine July 1989.

cheers

....../chris
---
 * QDeLuxe 1.10 #1809  PEOPLE AND COMPUTERS

christopher.greaves@canremote.uucp (CHRISTOPHER GREAVES) (07/05/89)

hp>I would suggest getting a PC magazine and looking for an ad from the
hp>MIX company in Texas who sells POWER C for $19.95.  They not only have

I agree with your values - I have MIX-C, and while it isn't
perfect, it is the best value-for-money I've seen FOR THE BOOK
ALONE - let alone with the compiler and linker thrown in.

I figure that by the time I've outgrown it, it will have payed
its way ten time over!

In case tje original questioner is reading this:

    BYTE magazine February 1989 page 181 has the advertisement.

    Phone number is toll-free 1-800-333-0330 and that will supply you
    with the name/address of the dealer nearest you.

cheers

....../chris
---
 * QDeLuxe 1.10 #1809  C'ing is believing