[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Re^2: Does ANYONE know of a network aware graphics package?

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (07/04/89)

scotth@grebyn.com (Scott Hutchinson) writes:
>	There are packages and public domain (or shareware?) that will
>trick tha average program into thinking its running locally, while in
>fact it is on the network.  If anyone would like info, just drop me a
>line.

Our problems with non-network programs on networks is that they have
things like the directories or (worse yet!) the configuration filenames
hard coded.

Just *try* and run a package when the last user set it up for VGA and
the laserprinter, and you've got Hercules and an Epson. Blech!

And a few programs always use the same names for temporary files *and*
require that you be in "their" directory when you run them. This makes
simultaneous usage impossible.

One of the reasons we have a network is so that we would only have one
"copy" of a package to update/maintain. (we buy as many copies as are
needed, but we don't want to have to install a seperate copy for every
user).

I'm constantly amazed at how few programs will handle networking
problems. What's really bad is that you don't need a network to see
some of these problems. We had to re-install the old monitor on a
computer we'd upgraded so that we could re-set the configuration on one
program. It used graphics mode for display, *including the #%$%# setup
screen*!!

--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (07/05/89)

In article <1527@bucket.UUCP>, leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) writes:
}I'm constantly amazed at how few programs will handle networking
}problems. What's really bad is that you don't need a network to see
}some of these problems.

All it takes is a multitasker like DESQview or DoubleDOS....  Trying to run
two copies of a program with hard-coded temp files would be fun :-)

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46