[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Dos 3.3 PRINT......Help

jagrogan@vax1.tcd.ie (07/03/89)

Hi there,
          I have a PC with Dos 3.3. The problem is with the Print.com.
I'm finding that I cannot queue files with it and after printing two files,
the whole system crashes. This is not a fault of my machine because I've
tried it on other machines with the same results! Has anyone else had the
same experience and if so, is there any way to get around it?
If I have a lot of files to print I have re-boot on Dos 3.2 and use that
Print.com (which gets a bit annoying after a while-doubled with the fact
that you cannot use Dos 3.2 commands when in Dos 3.3).
Please don't post any replies but mail them to me instead.
    Thanks,
           John.

bsrdp@warwick.ac.uk (Hylton Boothroyd) (07/05/89)

In article <609@vax1.tcd.ie> jagrogan@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>          I have a PC with Dos 3.3. The problem is with the Print.com.
>I'm finding that I cannot queue files with it and after printing two files,
>the whole system crashes.

Some DOS external commands are TSR. They can leave fatal holes in memory
allocation. Call the commands early in your session to eliminate the risk of
a programme de-allocating space beneath them.  For example, I include
        append
        print /d:PRN /b:16384 > nul
in my AUTOEXEC.BAT.

-----

harvey@dtrc.arpa (Harvey) (07/07/89)

In article <609@vax1.tcd.ie> jagrogan@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>          I have a PC with Dos 3.3. The problem is with the Print.com.
>I'm finding that I cannot queue files with it and after printing two files,
>the whole system crashes. This is not a fault of my machine because I've
>tried it on other machines with the same results! Has anyone else had the
>same experience and if so, is there any way to get around it?
>If I have a lot of files to print I have re-boot on Dos 3.2 and use that
>Print.com (which gets a bit annoying after a while-doubled with the fact
>that you cannot use Dos 3.2 commands when in Dos 3.3).
>Please don't post any replies but mail them to me instead.

	I had a similar problem with DOS 3.3 and PRINT.COM.  My printer
wouldn't print at all.  I needed to get something printed in a hurry, so
I restored my system back to DOS 3.21 until I had more time to play around
with it.  If anyone has any answers, it sure would save me a lot of time.
Betty Harvey                         |  Arpanet:  harvey@dtrc.arpa
Microcomputer Support Group          |  Voice:  (301)227-4901
David Taylor Research Center         |  Data:   (301)227-1042 or
Bethesda, Md.                        |          (301)227-3428