[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Need Pascal compiler for PC Clone

leppard@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Scott William Powers) (06/26/89)

This is Scott Powers.
i have never posted anything before and only under pressure from a fellow
friend did i reluctantly use this, not because of lack of faith but because
i wasnt sure i would be able to do this successfully or not!  so please do
forgive any errors i might make!  I am an up and coming CS major at Ball
State University in Muncie, In.  I also happen to love the language of
Pascal as it was my first learned language.  I now have a PC Clone and
wish to get a Pascal Compiler for it.  The problem obviously being money.
I am looking for something in Freeware or Shareware(at a price of nothing
over 20 dollars!).  I have a TANDY 1400LT.  It has 2 3-1/2 720K drives,
1 5-1/4, and 768K RAM.  I do NOT have a hard drive!  Can someone please
help?  I am not to sure how this posting thing works...i.e. if i have
to keep reading the specific newsgroups or if you DO/COULD/WILL write
through E-mail.

Thank you,
Scott Powers[leppard](as in Def Leppard!)

woody@aurora.uucp (Wayne Wood) (07/06/89)

In article <7927@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> leppard@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Scott William Powers) writes:

>This is Scott Powers.

[no flamage please]

turbo pascal from borland is a good pascal programming environment. you
get an editor, compiler, [and with the newer versions] a debugger.  it
costs about US$100 which is a bit above your target price, but it is
an excellent environment to work in on PC's.

-- woody
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%%   ...tongue tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I...            %%
%%   -- David Gilmour, Pink Floyd                                           %%
%%   woody@aurora.arc.nasa.gov %% my opinions,like my mind,are my own       %%
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

rwmira01@ULKYVX.BITNET (Rob Miracle) (07/07/89)

writes:

>turbo pascal from borland is a good pascal programming environment. you
>get an editor, compiler, [and with the newer versions] a debugger.  it
>costs about US$100 which is a bit above your target price, but it is
>an excellent environment to work in on PC's.

Sorry for following up to this message and not the original, but I never saw
the original :-)

Turbo Pascal V5.0 contains everything above, V5.5 is also Object Oriented.
The Prices of any Borland Language are:

  Retail:  $149.00 US
  Discount:  99.00
  Educational
  Discount:  45.00
  Upgrades:  49.95

Since Scott's address is to a College (Ball State correct?) I would recommend
checking the Bookstore.  If any academic programs require TP, then it could
very well be with the Computer Science books.  Some universities have many of
the Borland products in stock because of their great discounts.  I have heard
that Purdue's bookstore also stocks them.

Optionally you could order it directly from Borland.  Send a photocopy of you
Student/Faculty/Staff ID or a pay check stub to them and they will send it back
to you.  It is best to call them first so they can tell you exactly how much it
is.  Their number is 408-438-8400, ask for Educational Discounts.

If you are not eligible for educational discounts, you might want to drive to
a nearby university and check it out.

Note: I have no affiliation with any of the above mentioned entities, just a
happy customer.

Rob
rwmira01@ulkyvx.bitnet
"Reality is history, Fantasy is any thing that hasn't happened yet."
      -- Anton Devious