[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Summary of Fastwrite VGA Boards and the Seiko Monitor

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) (07/07/89)

Here is a summary of the mail I recieved asking for information on the
Fastwrite VGA cards and the Seiko 1430 Monitor.  Thanks to everyone who
helped.

I. Fastwrite VGA Card.
   The Fastwrite VGA is a good, fast card.  It seems to be as fast as the
   VRAM card for most applications.  The 512k memory version of the Fastwrite
   does NOT have 800x600x256 or 1024x768x16, but 640x480x256.  This card was
   not reviewed in PC Magazine, but the Tatung card uses the same chip set.
   It does have drivers for Windows/386.

II. Seiko 1430 Monitor
    Everyone who responded said that this monitor looked fantastic.  However,
    it is NOT a multisync monitor ( the 1450 is ), but a fixed frequency
    VGA/8514/A monitor.  It has three fixed frequencies, and will display
    1024x768.  This monitor will also go into a forced 31KHz horizontal sweep
    mode for about 7 seconds if it drops one horizontal sync pulse.

III. Other VGA Boards
     The most popular cards were the Orchid prodesigner and the STB VGA/Extra
     board.  These boards are both based on the Tseng Lab chip set.  They
     do experience some lost dots in high res color modes.  Someone also
     recommended the Logix(?) card that is advertised int computer shopper for
     $269(256k).

Thanks again for the information.
-----Dale
	Rogerson-----

rogers@falcon.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Brynn Rogers) (07/07/89)

In article <2568@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM> rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) writes:
>Here is a summary of the mail I recieved asking for information on the

>III. Other VGA Boards
>     The most popular cards were the Orchid prodesigner and the STB VGA/Extra
>     board.  These boards are both based on the Tseng Lab chip set.  They
>     do experience some lost dots in high res color modes.  Someone also
>     recommended the Logix(?) card that is advertised int computer shopper for
>     $269(256k).

Just to make a slight correction, I am pretty sure the lost bits are caused
by clones that have stretched the timing on the IO bus. If you put one of those
cards in a true blue 8Mhz AT, I bet they work perfect.(close enough, anyway)

I Found that the proto board I had installed in my AT (10Mhz DTK clone with
10Mhz IO bus) was causeing much of my problem. (dropping bits)
  It didn't cure it totally, but the driver that loads the VGA BIOS into
RAM does cure it totally.  However, the proto board goes back in tonight,
because It is much more important than a few bits.

 Brynn Rogers    Honeywell S&RC        rogers@src.honeywell.com
                                       nic.MR.net!srcsip!rogers