[comp.sys.ibm.pc] EGA Monitor Recommendation...

gwang@berlioz (George Wang) (07/06/89)

I am interested in purchasing a low-cost EGA monitor... I have heard
good things about the Samsung EGA monitor.. Does anyone have any
ideas or recommendations?  I am looking at the $300-$400 range.....

I am currently trying out a Packard Bell EGA monitor... I have not
heard too many things about Packard Bell... Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance.
George

gharring@enprt.Wichita.NCR.COM (Gary Harrington) (07/06/89)

In article <369@berlioz.nsc.com> gwang@logic.nsc.com (George Wang) writes:
>I am interested in purchasing a low-cost EGA monitor...

    In a related question,  does an EGA monitor (not multisync'ing)
    usually also do CGA (i.e. does a regular EGA monitor usually
    double-scan so that it is good for both EGA and CGA)?

    Gary Harrington      Gary.Harrington@ncrwic.UUCP
    Wichita, Kansas      or gharring@enprt.Wichita.NCR.COM

gwang@berlioz (George Wang) (07/07/89)

In article <497@enprt.Wichita.NCR.COM> gharring@enprt.UUCP (Gary Harrington) writes:
>In article <369@berlioz.nsc.com> gwang@logic.nsc.com (George Wang) writes:
>>I am interested in purchasing a low-cost EGA monitor...
>
>    In a related question,  does an EGA monitor (not multisync'ing)
>    usually also do CGA (i.e. does a regular EGA monitor usually
>    double-scan so that it is good for both EGA and CGA)?
>
>    Gary Harrington      Gary.Harrington@ncrwic.UUCP
>    Wichita, Kansas      or gharring@enprt.Wichita.NCR.COM

Yes, an EGA monitor will work with CGA screens quite nicely... As
a matter of fact it will also handle Hercules Graphics if you EGA
card emulates it (most do...)

BTW, Any ideas on whether the Packard Bell 1439 EGA or Samsung EGA
is better? Also I heard about Relisys EGA.... Any ideas??

George

vail@tegra.UUCP (Johnathan Vail) (07/08/89)

In article <497@enprt.Wichita.NCR.COM> gharring@enprt.Wichita.NCR.COM (Gary Harrington) writes:

   In article <369@berlioz.nsc.com> gwang@logic.nsc.com (George Wang) writes:
   >I am interested in purchasing a low-cost EGA monitor...

       In a related question,  does an EGA monitor (not multisync'ing)
       usually also do CGA (i.e. does a regular EGA monitor usually
       double-scan so that it is good for both EGA and CGA)?

EGA monitors are "dual-sync".  They will sync at either the standard
CGA or EGA rates depending on the polarity of the sync signal.  Some
models, like Hitachi, actaull have relays that click when you switch.

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips
 over, pinning you underneath.  At night, the ice weasels come."
--Matt Groening
 _____
 -----

chasm@attctc.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (07/08/89)

In article <497@enprt.Wichita.NCR.COM>, gharring@enprt.Wichita.NCR.COM (Gary Harrington) writes:
> In article <369@berlioz.nsc.com> gwang@logic.nsc.com (George Wang) writes:
> >I am interested in purchasing a low-cost EGA monitor...
>
>     In a related question,  does an EGA monitor (not multisync'ing)
>     usually also do CGA (i.e. does a regular EGA monitor usually
>     double-scan so that it is good for both EGA and CGA)?

It does not double-scan, but it has to support 200 line display modes (so
a CGA adapter can drive it in all the modes that the CGA card -- the EGA just
adds 16-color graphics with 200-line displays and, of course, the 350 line
text and graphics modes).

>     Gary Harrington      Gary.Harrington@ncrwic.UUCP
>     Wichita, Kansas      or gharring@enprt.Wichita.NCR.COM

Charles Marslett
STB Systems, Inc.  <== Apply all standard disclaimers
Wordmark Systems   <== No disclaimers required -- that's just me
chasm@killer.dallas.tx.us <== soon to be attctc.dallas.tx.us I think