[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Toshiba Drive Info Wanted

chao@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Chia-Chi Chao) (07/03/89)

I just bought a Toshiba MK134FA-I hard disk (3.5", 44MB MFM/65MB RLL) that
didn't come with any documentation.  I called Toshiba America, but was told
that they don't have a technical department for hard drives.  Does anyone have
information on this drive, especially the required precompensation.  Right now,
it's formatted as type 21, but type 14 has the same specs except for the write
precompensation.

Thanks.   Chia-Chi       chao@cory.berkeley.edu

ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) (07/05/89)

     The Toshiba MK134 has 7 heads and 733 cylinders.  Write precompensation
is specified for cylinders 512 up.  Access time averages 25 msec.
     This drive works fine for RLL - it formats to 68 megabytes.  If you
choose to operate it this way, avoid the Adaptec 2372 controllers - they do
not support write precomp.  The DTC 7287 does.
--
Ray Berry  kb7ht uucp: ...{sumax|thebes|quick}!ole!ray     CIS 73407,3152
Seattle Silicon Corp. 3075 112th Ave NE. Bellevue WA 98004 (206) 828 4422

chao@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Chia-Chi Chao) (07/07/89)

In article <895@ole.UUCP> ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) writes:

>     The Toshiba MK134 has 7 heads and 733 cylinders.  Write precompensation
>is specified for cylinders 512 up.  Access time averages 25 msec.
>     This drive works fine for RLL - it formats to 68 megabytes.  If you
>choose to operate it this way, avoid the Adaptec 2372 controllers - they do
>not support write precomp.  The DTC 7287 does.

Thanks a lot for the info.  The mail bounced, so I am posting this here.

I am using the DTC 7287 controller.  Right now, it is set to type 21 which has
write precomp at 300.  Is there such thing as "over compensation"?  Should I
low level reformat it as non-standard drive?  Only a single bad sector, and
SpinRite reported access time of 24 ms.  Very nice drive!

Thanks.   Chia-Chi      chao@cory.berkeley.edu

ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) (07/07/89)

	My mail bounced too.  In practice your current setup is probably fine.
Personally, I would do the low level format & get it right.  Now's the time
to mess with the drive (before it's full of data!).
--

chao@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Chia-Chi Chao) (07/08/89)

In article <906@ole.UUCP> ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) writes:

>	My mail bounced too.  In practice your current setup is probably fine.
>Personally, I would do the low level format & get it right.  Now's the time
>to mess with the drive (before it's full of data!).
>--

I backed up everything last night, reformatted the disk with nonstandard
option, and loaded everything back.  Thanks again.     Chia-Chi