[comp.sys.ibm.pc] UNIX for PC's

larsens@urubu.CS.ORST.EDU (Scott Larsen) (07/08/89)

I don't know if this got posted or not due to some internal errors on my part.

Does anyone know of a good UNIX (or "UNIX STYLE") operating system for a PC?
I would like it to be (GULP!) public domian, shareware, or reasonably priced
commmerical software, and be able to utilize the power of the 386.  Are there
any out there that will work with an inboard 386?

-- Scott

| Scott Larsen			| The statements expressed here are the        |
| larsens@urubu.cs.orst.edu	| opinions of myself and not the computer's.   |
| Oregon State Univeristy	| "Bring us . . . a shrubbery!" - M.P.F.C.     |

gors@well.UUCP (Gordon Stewart) (07/08/89)

Consider Andy Tannenbaum's MINIX -- described in detail in his
Operating Systems Book, and diskettes are available for the PC.

Since you're on the net, listen in to the newsgroup devoted
to MINIX.

--
				{apple, pacbell, hplabs, ucbvax}!well!gors
							gors@well.sf.ca.us

chasm@attctc.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (07/09/89)

In article <11534@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, larsens@urubu.CS.ORST.EDU (Scott Larsen) writes:
> Does anyone know of a good UNIX (or "UNIX STYLE") operating system for a PC?
> I would like it to be (GULP!) public domian, shareware, or reasonably priced
> commmerical software, and be able to utilize the power of the 386.  Are there
> any out there that will work with an inboard 386?

The MINIX operating system is a Unix 7th Edition clone, that is currently
available for the Atari ST (68000) computers and for the IBM PC/XT/AT (and
finally the PS/2 I believe).  The Intel version uses the 8088 instruction
set, and runs on 386s but does not really take advantage of them.  A
set of patches was recently released, and with them it becomes a protected mode
Unix on 286 and 386 boxes.  A future release (2.0) will add more or less full
POSIX compatibility, and probabl even 38 unique code for those who have a
386.

Since it comes with full source, you can of course hack it to do anything
you have time for...

The software (and book: Operating Systems/Design and Implementation, by
Andy Tanenbaum) is available from Prentice-Hall.

> -- Scott

Charles
Charles Marslett
STB Systems, Inc.  <== Apply all standard disclaimers
Wordmark Systems   <== No disclaimers required -- that's just me
chasm@attctc.dallas.tx.us