[comp.sys.ibm.pc] The latest version of ARC

coleman@lll-lcc.UUCP (Sam Coleman) (06/09/89)

  In extracting files from an ARC archive, my copy of ARC complained that
  it couldn't extract a file and said that I need a later version.  Since
  mine is dated in 1986 (version 5.2), it seems reasonable that it's out
  of date.

  Can someone send a copy of the latest version or point me to one?
  Thanks.

  Sam Coleman
  coleman@lll-lcc.llnl.gov

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (06/12/89)

In article <2505@lll-lcc.UUCP> coleman@lll-lcc.UUCP (Sam Coleman) writes:

>  In extracting files from an ARC archive, my copy of ARC complained that
>  it couldn't extract a file and said that I need a later version.  Since
>  mine is dated in 1986 (version 5.2), it seems reasonable that it's out
>  of date.

The latest version is 6.02 to my knowledge, but if the files have
been packed with pkarc or pkpak getting 6.02 will not help you as
far as I know.  Arc should be upwards and downwards compatible? As
to getting 6.02 try bulletin boards or ftp from clarkson or
simtel20 should they have it (we don't).

Prof. Timo Salmi                                (Site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (06/13/89)

}>
}
}The latest version is 6.02 to my knowledge, but if the files have
}been packed with pkarc or pkpak getting 6.02 will not help you as
}far as I know.

SEA ARC versions 5.30 and up can extract PKARC "squashed" files (they are
called "deviant").  Note that ARC 6.0x can create archives which are not
readable by any of ARC 5.x or PKARC or NoGate's PAK....

--
{harvard,uunet,ucbvax}!b.gp.cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=- AT&T: (412)268-3053 (school)
ARPA: RALF@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU |"Tolerance means excusing the mistakes others make.

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (06/14/89)

In article <5200@pt.cs.cmu.edu> ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) writes:
>In article <570@chyde.uwasa.fi> ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) writes:
>}The latest version is 6.02 to my knowledge, but if the files have
>}been packed with pkarc or pkpak getting 6.02 will not help you as
>}far as I know.
>
>SEA ARC versions 5.30 and up can extract PKARC "squashed" files (they are
>called "deviant").  Note that ARC 6.0x can create archives which are not
>readable by any of ARC 5.x or PKARC or NoGate's PAK....

Thanks for the correction.  I have checked it, and you are right.
As a consequence I have added /pc/pd2/arc62.exe to the files that
can be FTPd from our site.

Prof. Timo Salmi                                (Site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

jack.bzoza@canremote.uucp (JACK BZOZA) (06/30/89)

Some of the more recent versions of arc have a compression algorithm
built in called squashing.  This was not supported in early versions.
It also was not supported at all by the ARC products from SEA
Associates.

PkWare Inc. (run by Phil Katz) products have the squashing algorithm (in
fact I think they invented it) built into their product called PKPAK and
PKUNPAK.  It is shareware and should be available on BBSes in your area
as a file called PKPAK361.EXE which is a self extracting archive.
(3.61 was the last version of this product as litigation by SEA forced
Phil Katz to stop selling this product.

He then developed PKZIP and PKUNZIP which are superior products in every
sense.  Look for PKZ092.EXE for the current beta release.  SUPERB STUFF!
---
 * QDeLuxe 1.10 #168  Lead, follow or get out of the way !

joe@pnet51.cts.com (Jim Henderson) (07/09/89)

On a similar note, the latest version (that I've heard of) of SEA's ARC
program is 6.10.  I just got the latest version of ArcMaster, which supports
each of the popular arcing programs (PAK, ARC, PKPAK, PKZIP, LHARC) and lists
the last version of each as of the release date of ArcMaster (4/27/89
by the date stamp).
   The version of ArcMaster I have is 4.32.
   Jim Henderson, joe@pnet51.cts.com
  "Don't ask me how it works or I'll start to whimper."  - Arthur Dent
  DISCLAIMER:  "I speak for myself, and only for myself."  (Except where noted.)