[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Hard disk partitioning

hobbes@portia.Stanford.EDU (Andrew Zimmerman) (07/06/89)

Is it possible to create a DOS partition with 16-bit FAT entries as
an extendeded DOS partition?
I am using DOS 3.3plus on a Zenith supersport-286 with a 40 Meg hard
disk.  The first partition is a DOS-16, with 33 Meg.  When I try to
create the second partition, the DOS command PREP creates a partition of
type DOS-12 for an 8 Meg partition.  Is there anyway to change this
partion to a DOS-16?
    On a DOS-12 partition, space is allocated in 4096 byte blocks, while in
a DOS-16 partion, the space is allocated in 2048 byte blocks.  I would
like to use the smaller block size to minimize the cost of internal
fragmentation of the disk.
Thanks for any help.
Andrew Zimmerman
zimmer@umunhum.stanford.edu

lance@helios (Lance Bresee) (07/06/89)

I have tried to do this, both at home and at work,
and have not found anything yet which works,
partitions smaller that 20K seem to always
require the larger block assignment per file..

lance%helios.UCSC.EDU

andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Andrew Rossmann) (07/09/89)

>Item: 4161 by hobbes at portia.Stanford.EDU (1 responses)
>  Subj: Hard disk partitioning
>
>Is it possible to create a DOS partition with 16-bit FAT entries as
>an extendeded DOS partition?
>I am using DOS 3.3plus on a Zenith supersport-286 with a 40 Meg hard
>disk.  The first partition is a DOS-16, with 33 Meg.  When I try to
>create the second partition, the DOS command PREP creates a partition of
>type DOS-12 for an 8 Meg partition.  Is there anyway to change this
>partion to a DOS-16?

  The only way I can think of to over-ride this is to use somthing like
Nortons Utilities (Advanced Edition 4.5 is the easiest) and edit the
partition table to change the type from FAT-12 to FAT-16. You need to
change the type byte from 01 to 04. You will then need to re-format the
partition.

>Thanks for any help.
>Andrew Zimmerman
>zimmer@umunhum.stanford.edu