[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Extended memory board and RAM speed...

spierk@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Kevin Spier) (07/08/89)

I am looking into purchasing an extended / expanded memory board for
my Epson Equity III+, and I have no idea what speed RAM I need.  The
machine runs at 12MHz with 1 wait state. Can I use 80ns chips or do I
need faster? And can I just buy 70ns chips anyway; ie.  is better to
have faster chips even if you don't need them or does it cause
problems? Also can Windows 286 v2.11 make use of extended memory
besides just using it for swapping??? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin L. Spier
spierk@turing.cs.rpi.edu

Kevin L. Spier
spierk@turing.cs.rpi.edu

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (07/09/89)

spierk@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Kevin Spier) <5876@rpi.edu> :
-machine runs at 12MHz with 1 wait state. Can I use 80ns chips or do I
-need faster? And can I just buy 70ns chips anyway; ie.  is better to

It occurs to me that the simplest, most reliable answer to this sort of
question is to look a the memory chips you currently have, and get more
of the same.

My understanding of waitstates is (still) weak, but if it really means
just a second clock cycle in memory accesses, then 12MHz/1ws would
be equivalent to 6MHz/0ws and 120ns chips would be adequate (but what
does the machine already have??).  In any case, I can't imagine how
faster-than-necessary chips would do you any good, as the machine will
take as long as it takes to access memory regardless.

chasm@attctc.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (07/09/89)

In article <23080@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) writes:
> My understanding of waitstates is (still) weak, but if it really means
> just a second clock cycle in memory accesses, then 12MHz/1ws would
> be equivalent to 6MHz/0ws and 120ns chips would be adequate (but what
> does the machine already have??).  In any case, I can't imagine how
> faster-than-necessary chips would do you any good, as the machine will
> take as long as it takes to access memory regardless.

Actually, a normal (no-wait) memory access takes 2 wait states, so if you add
one wait state, it takes 50% longer, rather than twice as long.

This means that a 12 MHz 1 wait state machine actually has 250 ns to fetch
a word from memory.  The real problem in figuring out how fast the RAM has to
be is the time it takes to decode addresses and enable buffers (all that stuff
in the C&T or W/D chip sets).  They usually take 75-100 ns, so add that to
the access time and if it fits, it's probably OK.  Another "feature" of
RAM chips is they get slower when they have company (like people) -- RAM on
a large memory board will be slower than the same RAM chips on a smaller
memory board.

Charles Marslett
STB Systems, Inc.  <== Apply all standard disclaimers
Wordmark Systems   <== No disclaimers required -- that's just me
chasm@attctc.dallas.tx.us

ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (07/10/89)

In article <23080@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) writes:
}My understanding of waitstates is (still) weak, but if it really means
}just a second clock cycle in memory accesses, then 12MHz/1ws would
}be equivalent to 6MHz/0ws and 120ns chips would be adequate (but what

Actually, a wait state means a *third* clock cycle.  8086's take four clocks
per memory access, which is slow enough that I've never heard of a PC or XT
with wait states (though I've seen a number advertised as having 0 wait
states--some "feature"!).  80286's and 80386's take two clocks per memory
access, and the new 486 chip has a burst mode that can load the internal cache
at the rate of one memory read every clock cycle.

--
{harvard,uunet,ucbvax}!b.gp.cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=- AT&T: (412)268-3053 (school)
ARPA: RALF@CS.CMU.EDU     |"The optimist is the kind of person who believes a

mlord@bnr-public.uucp (Mark Lord) (07/11/89)

In article <5876@rpi.edu> spierk@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Kevin Spier) writes:
>I am looking into purchasing an extended / expanded memory board for
>my Epson Equity III+, and I have no idea what speed RAM I need.  The
>machine runs at 12MHz with 1 wait state. Can I use 80ns chips or do I
>need faster? And can I just buy 70ns chips anyway; ie.  is better to
>have faster chips even if you don't need them or does it cause
>problems? Also can Windows 286 v2.11 make use of extended memory
>besides just using it for swapping??? Any help would be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Kevin L. Spier
>spierk@turing.cs.rpi.edu
>
>Kevin L. Spier
>spierk@turing.cs.rpi.edu

80ns ought to be more than fast enough.  A simple, non-interleaved non-cached 12-Mhz system deals with 83.3ns per cycle.  At one wait state, a memory access is
therefore allowed 83.3+83.3=166.6ns to complete.  Dynamic rams require their
"access time" (such as 80ns or 70ns in your query) to respond with data, plus
an allowance for other circuitry to generate the chip selects and strobe the
addresses.  This extra overhead varies from machine to machine, and about 30ns
is probably a reasonable allowance.  80ns+30ns = 110ns = plenty of time.

BUT.. dynamic rams also have a requirement for resting between accesses (hard
work..), typically slightly less than their access times.  In this example,
it might be 70ns or 60ns, although this depends on the manufacturer.  When
figuring out this tolerance, the 30ns overhead need not be considered in most
cases, so as long as the time available (166.6ns) is more than the chip "access
time" (80ns or 70ns) plus the resting time (70ns or 60ns), it will probably
be okay (depending on other system variables as mentioned).

In this case, 80+70ns or 70+60ns are both less than the 166.6 cycle time for the
12mhz+1ws machine, so 80ns rams are just peachy.  Most of the 12Mhz systems I
have seen use 100ns chips.  Perhaps this is because an extra cycle is used
by the processor (2 cycles for memory accesses?) allowing plenty of time.
I don't have a h/w manual handy to see exactly how many cycles the 80286 really
uses when going to memory, but the above calculations are worst case.

-Mark

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (07/11/89)

ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) <5456@pt.cs.cmu.edu> :
-
-Actually, a wait state means a *third* clock cycle.  8086's take four clocks
-per memory access, which is slow enough that I've never heard of a PC or XT
-with wait states (though I've seen a number advertised as having 0 wait
-states--some "feature"!).  80286's and 80386's take two clocks per memory
-access, and the new 486 chip has a burst mode that can load the internal cache
-at the rate of one memory read every clock cycle.

Aha.  Thanks....BTW, my Zenith 158 (XT clone) is a 1-waitstate box, at
8MHz.  I think that one of the changes made to its Z-159 successor was
to go to no waitstates.