[net.music] Musical Prejudice

vsh@pixel.UUCP (vsh) (10/25/85)

OK music aficionados, what do you think of the following proposition:

	One's reaction to a given album/song/group is determined
	more by what one has heard or read about the
	album/song/group than by the actual music itself.

To what extent do you agree or disagree, and why.

    Examples to consider:

	A friend tells you group xyz is great.  You pay more attention
	when xyz is played on the radio, at a party, etc.  You become
	familiar with their music, and even grow to like it.

	You become aware that group xyz is "in".  (ditto)

	Substitute "lousy", "out" in above examples.
--
Steve Harris		|  {allegra|ihnp4|cbosgd|ima|genrad|amd|harvard}!\
Pixel Systems Inc.	|   		wjh12!pixel!vsh

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (10/26/85)

In article <27@pixel.UUCP> vsh@pixel.UUCP (vsh) writes:
>OK music aficionados, what do you think of the following proposition:
>
>	One's reaction to a given album/song/group is determined
>	more by what one has heard or read about the
>	album/song/group than by the actual music itself.
>
>To what extent do you agree or disagree, and why.

If you mean *my* reaction to a given song, then I disagree TOTALLY!

Hey, this isn't high school!  I listen to whatever I damn well please,
and if I'd rather hear Sue Thompson singing "Norman" than the collected
works of you-know-who... well, that's my prerogative!  You think *I* care
if some twit considers it "uncool" to play the Turtles' "Outside Chance"
100 times in a row?

Let me quote my favorite magazine on the subject:

[Discussion of the "We Are The World" video...]

"These are the sounds that herald in a new wave - a new wave of Patti Pages
and Eddie Fishers!  My dad's got hipper sideburns than any of these clowns!

"Don't let anyone tell you yer livin' in the past for listenin' to cool
sounds 'cause how can someone call you narrow-minded when they can't name
5 Bo Diddley songs?  The Cars are the past - shag haircuts, eunuch voices,
etc.  JERRY LEE LEWIS IS THE FUTURE!!!!..."

The article rambles on:

"... as long as old turd DJ's, writers, and other music biz cretins who
rose to prominence in the 70's pull the strings, rock & roll will always
be hovered over by the big dark cloud of ROCK MUSIC!  [See flamage elsewhere
in net.music for a discussion of the difference.]  "All the world's on a
one-way ticket to heck", like my buddy Adny Shernoff tried to warn the
masses!  Look around, it's everywhere!  There's people called yuppies who
*wanna* be square and spare no expense getting there -- YOW!!  They're
changing the formula to Coca-Cola, too!  That's like Elvis gettin' plastic
surgery to look like Jim Backus!!  ARRGGH!!!"

The above quotes are from KICKS magazine #4, available for $4.00 from
KICKS, Box 646, Cooper Station, NY NY 10003.  Lotsa great articles including
an interview with Joyce Randolph, White Castle news, Midwestern surf bands,
the mid-60's Fort Worth teen scene, tons of rockabilly coverage, a
hilarious hoax alleging that Question Mark was actually Bobby Rydell,
articles on Jerome Green, Fred Blassie, Wanda Jackson, the Trashmen reunion...

Oops, gotta go now... sounds like a skip in "Little Black Egg"...

AWR

tomczak@harvard.ARPA (Bill Tomczak) (10/28/85)

In article <27@pixel.UUCP> vsh@pixel.UUCP (vsh) writes:
>OK music aficionados, what do you think of the following proposition:
>
>	One's reaction to a given album/song/group is determined
>	more by what one has heard or read about the
>	album/song/group than by the actual music itself.
>
>To what extent do you agree or disagree, and why.

Sure, we're all adults here, right?  I know how to be totally objective.
I'm not in high school anymore.

So how come very often I find myself saying things or agreeing to things
that a large number of the people around me also say and agree to?  Do
I surround myself with people who agree with me?  Or do I let go of a
certain amount of my autonomy to "get along".  The more I look into this
the more subtle I find the influences.  Every once in awhile I make an
effort to take an opposing viewpoint if for no other reason than to try
and understand how things might look from another human being's vantage
point.  If your reaction to a question like this is to just write it
off with no thought, I might suggest you really look at it over the
next month or so.  Maybe I have, in fact, stopped growing emotionally
since high school.  Well, I've always been kinda slow in some ways.
I'll see you at the age of 60 and we can compare notes then.....

bill tomczak@harvard.{HARVARD.EDU, UUCP}