[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Adding hard disk to IBM PC

15340TDD@MSU.BITNET (Tom Davis) (07/11/89)

I'm trying to help a friend put a new 20M hard disk in his
original IBM PC, and ran into some problems.  After getting
the disk installed we were unable to run FDISK to setup the
DOS partition.  It failed with "Error reading fixed disk."
We ran the hardware diagnostics and it failed trying to
access track 0 on the hard disk.

My guess is that the BIOS in this old beast doesn't know
what to think about the 20M drive (they were all 10M back
then I believe) and improperly identifies it to DOS at which
point it goes south.  Can anyone confirm my hunch?  I think
I have two options available:  1) Find some newer BIOS ROMs
and installed them in the PC or 2) Install the disk in a
newer machine, run FDISK (and FORMAT?), then put it back in
the old PC.  I hate to go to such trouble if I'm on the
wrong track...

FWIW, the BIOS is version C1.10 dated 25-Apr-1981, the new
disk is a Kalok KL320, the controller is Western Digital.

psb@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Phil Buckland) (07/12/89)

In article <10315340TDD@MSU> 15340TDD@MSU.BITNET (Tom Davis) writes:
>I'm trying to help a friend put a new 20M hard disk in his
>original IBM PC, and ran into some problems.  After getting
>the disk installed we were unable to run FDISK to setup the
>DOS partition.  It failed with "Error reading fixed disk."
>We ran the hardware diagnostics and it failed trying to
>access track 0 on the hard disk.

	Have you made sure that the two hard drive cables are properly
	installed (pin 1 of connector on controller card to pin 1 on
	drive connector via the red striped wire in the cable)?

	Also, is the drive select jumper on the hard drive in the
	correct position (If cable is twisted, jumper for DS1 if
	the first drive select number on the drive is DS0, or for
	DS2 if the first jumper is DS1.  If the cable is *not*
	twisted, jumper the drive for DS0 or DS1 according to the
	aforementioned rule.)?

	Is the terminating resistor pack installed in the
	hard drive?  If there is more than one hard drive, it *must*
	be installed in the drive attached to the last connector of
	the 34-pin control cable.

	Finally, have you run the skeleton formatter on the drive
	before running FDISK?  There should be instructions on how
	to do this in the documentation sent with the controller.
	Judging by the error messages you are reporting, it would
	appear that the drive doesn't have the skeleton format on
	it (sector addresses only).

>My guess is that the BIOS in this old beast doesn't know
>what to think about the 20M drive (they were all 10M back
>then I believe) and improperly identifies it to DOS at which
>point it goes south.  Can anyone confirm my hunch?

	The BIOS has *no* idea what size the drive is - this is
	a function of the drive controller only.

>I think
>I have two options available:  1) Find some newer BIOS ROMs
>and installed them in the PC or 2) Install the disk in a
>newer machine, run FDISK (and FORMAT?), then put it back in
>the old PC.  I hate to go to such trouble if I'm on the
>wrong track...

>FWIW, the BIOS is version C1.10 dated 25-Apr-1981, the new
>disk is a Kalok KL320, the controller is Western Digital.

	If the potential solutions outlined above don't get
	you a working hard drive, E-mail what happened (or
	repost) and I'll provide some troubleshooting
	guidelines.  Before ruling that the BIOS is bad,
	it is necessary to prove that the hard drive and
	controller combination do work together (by installing
	them in another system, perhaps).  It is also
	possible for problems to occur by having a stuck
	IRQ line in the I/O channel (the connector the card
	plugs in to) which affects *only* hard drive operation -
	you wouldn't see this problem on a floppy only system.

				Phil Buckland
				Computer Engineer

psb@eecea.UUCP
psb@eecea.eece.ksu.edu