[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Needed: good RAM diagnostic program

boyne@hplvli.HP.COM (Art Boyne) (07/11/89)

With the recent heat wave here in Colorado, and lacking air conditioning,
my generic AT-clone has developed an heat-senstive memory problem (after
about 45 minutes, it dies with a "Intermittent memory failure - System
Halted" error message every few minutes).  Can anyone direct me to or
e-mail me a really *good* memory diagnostic program, preferably public
domain or shareware.  I want to know which chip(s) are failing - so I
can be sure my dealer really fixes the problem when I take it in (under
warranty, I'm glad to say)

Art Boyne, boyne@hplvla.hp.com

gwang@berlioz (George Wang) (07/13/89)

In article <360020@hplvli.HP.COM> boyne@hplvli.HP.COM (Art Boyne) writes:
>With the recent heat wave here in Colorado, and lacking air conditioning,
>my generic AT-clone has developed an heat-senstive memory problem (after
>about 45 minutes, it dies with a "Intermittent memory failure - System
>Halted" error message every few minutes).  Can anyone direct me to or
>e-mail me a really *good* memory diagnostic program, preferably public
>domain or shareware.  I want to know which chip(s) are failing - so I
>can be sure my dealer really fixes the problem when I take it in (under
>warranty, I'm glad to say)

Well, Brown Bag Software makes a PD memory tester... I forget
the name of it but it's suppose to be a very intensive memory
tester...

BTW, what speed memory chips are you using? What speed is your AT?
If it's over 10 MHZ you should have memory chips at least 100 NS...
Sure, you can use slower chips but after a while (6 months or a year)
you will get intermittent failures...

George
Gwang@logic.nsc.com