[comp.sys.ibm.pc] AGAIN: Arabic on PC? Information wanted

ernst_witter@eva.slu.se (07/05/89)

Some weeks ago I sent a query to the net on the use of Arabic on
an IBM PC compatible (UK version). No replies were received,
so I try again!

     What I am looking for is any type of hardware/software
which will allow me to write and print arabic characters on
a UK version of a PC compatible. The main use is for standard
word processing, and something that would work in conjunction
with WordPerfect would be ideal. Does anyone know of such a
product?. It has to do more than just produce arabic characters
on the screen and printer using complex key stroke combination,
but actually redefine the keyboard as large chunks of text will
be written in Arabic rather than just the odd characters.

     Any suggestions/information would be very gratefully
received.

Thanks in advance

                      Ernst Witter

liber@darth.PGH.PA.US (Eric Liber) (07/12/89)

In article <5212@eva.slu.se>, ernst_witter@eva.slu.se writes:
>      What I am looking for is any type of hardware/software
> which will allow me to write and print arabic characters on
> a UK version of a PC compatible. The main use is for standard
> word processing, and something that would work in conjunction
> with WordPerfect would be ideal. Does anyone know of such a
> product?. It has to do more than just produce arabic characters
> on the screen and printer using complex key stroke combination,
> but actually redefine the keyboard as large chunks of text will
> be written in Arabic rather than just the odd characters.
.
.
About 5 years ago I was in Saudi Arabia for a few weeks on a company job and
I saw a product called Arabstar.  I was supposed to be a specially modified
version of Wordstar from a company in the UK somewhere.  It worked just as you
would expect and wrote from right to left on the screen and printed to the
printer (epson or IBM graphics - i think) in readable arabic .. how should I
know ? I can't read it or speak it :-).  Unfortunately that is about all I
know.  However, i do have a suggestion; why not call or visit the Saudi
embassy in your country or check for a saudi student's club or other
organization.  Someone there is almost sure to use such a product.
Hope this helps ... good luck
Eric (the red baron) Liber

clay@uci.UUCP (News Administrator) (07/15/89)

Around '83-84 when I was at Lee Data Corp. in MN, we did some work with an
interesting fellow from Compusomething in Montreal, Canada.  He was Egyptian,
had written an Arabic WP program in PC BASIC (BASIC language with French
comments -- pretty weird to look at).  He changed EPROMS on the monochrome
display card to add his special fonts.  The WP worked as Arabic should, right
to left with the shapes of the characters changing with the context of the
sentence.  My apologies that I cannot remember the firm's name, though I
believe his name was Adly Salib.  I have no idea of where the product went
after that -- it's been a while!
--
Clayton Haapala                ...!mmm!dicome!uci!clay
Unified Communications Inc.    "Declare your Point of Entry, Space Wanderer!"