[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Seiko CM-1430

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) (07/07/89)

	The Seiko CM-1430 is a VGA monitor with a dot pitch of .26mm that
can do an interlaced 1024x768 that is 8514/A compatible.  I have one, really
like it, and up until two days ago, would have recommended it without
reservation.  Now, I have a single reservation.

	The CM1430 is not a true multiscanning monitor.  It has multiple
frequencies, but will not sync to all intermediate scanning rates. The
VESA mode, 800x600x256 colors, is thereby problematic.  With my VGA
hardware, it does display at this resolution, but the display rolls
approximately twice a second, good for a glance, but lousy for slideshows.
A call to Seiko confirms that this occurs with most VGA adapters, with
the notable exceptions of the Orchid ProDesigner and another by Tecmar.
Presumably, it was one of these that InfoWorld tested the monitor with,
since they did not report a problem with the Seiko monitor, and otherwise
gave it a good review (they reviewed it after I bought it, but it was a
nice confirmation).  Hence, if you want this resolution, you have to go
with a rather limited number of adapter cards, OR buy a different monitor.
	One monitor which seems to be the rough equivalent (and which Sony
introduced several weeks after I bought my Seiko monitor) is the
Sony MultiSync 3D.  It has a street price about $100-$150 greater than the
Seiko. I know nothing about its quality (reviews graciously received) but
it should not have this annoying problem.

--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 4.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine

phil@diablo.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (07/08/89)

In article <2338@aecom.yu.edu> werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) writes:
|	The CM1430 is not a true multiscanning monitor.  It has multiple
|frequencies, but will not sync to all intermediate scanning rates. The

This is true, it even says so in the manual.

However, I'd like to point out that the two modes, 640x480 and
800x600, are not that far off in frequency.

31.5KHz, 60Hz vs 35KHz, 56Hz.

|A call to Seiko confirms that this occurs with most VGA adapters, with
|the notable exceptions of the Orchid ProDesigner and another by Tecmar.

I've got the ProDesigner.

|	One monitor which seems to be the rough equivalent (and which Sony
|introduced several weeks after I bought my Seiko monitor) is the
|Sony MultiSync 3D.  It has a street price about $100-$150 greater than the

You mean NEC, don't you? Actually, I started out looking for a
MultiSync 3D and the store was out so I got the Seiko instead. I only
wish it was physically larger, a 14" screen is not optimal for
displaying 1024x768.
--
Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
"The government is not your mother."

lisbon@vpnet.UUCP (Gerry Swetsky) (07/09/89)

werner@aecom.comp.ibmpc (aecom.yu.edu))) [Craig Werner] narrates:

>	One monitor which seems to be the rough equivalent (and which Sony
> introduced several weeks after I bought my Seiko monitor) is the
> Sony MultiSync 3D.

    Anything like the NEC MultiSync 3D? It seems strange that NEC and
    Sony would both use the same designation for a monitor.......

| Help stamp out stupid .signature files!		    Gerry Swetsky   |
|                                                                           |
| Home (312)833-8122  Vpnet (312)833-8126               lisbon@vpnet.uucp   |

chima@dasys1.UUCP (Chima Ngene) (07/15/89)

I am a freelance programmer working for a company wich has supplied me
with a CLIPPER Compiler.  Something is wrong with the compiler and the
company has not registerd the package.  If anyone will be willing to
compile my source code please reply.

					Thanks in advance
					Chima@dasys1

--