[comp.sys.ibm.pc] IBM EGA<->VHS VCR

erik@stsim.UUCP (Erik Kascik) (07/12/89)

Can someone explain to me the exact process of recording onto a VHS VCR
from an IBM PC with EGA ?

erik(..uunet!ocsmd!stsim!erik);

brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) (07/12/89)

In article <176@stsim.UUCP> erik@stsim.UUCP (Erik Kascik) writes:
<Can someone explain to me the exact process of recording onto a VHS VCR
<from an IBM PC with EGA ?

Normally, you can't.  1) the EGA doesn't have a NTSC output 2) because
the format of EGA is not NTSC compatable.

If you are looking for a way just to physically connect the EGA output to your
VCR, forget it.  The only way is to purchase a special EGA RGB to NTSC
converter.
--
	        harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!brown

allred@ut-emx.UUCP (Kevin L. Allred) (07/13/89)

In article <176@stsim.UUCP>, erik@stsim.UUCP (Erik Kascik) writes:
> Can someone explain to me the exact process of recording onto a VHS VCR
> from an IBM PC with EGA ?

I recall having read about products that can take EGA or VGA signals
and turn them into composit video signals (interlaced I would guess)
for recording on a VCR or display on a composit monitor.  I am
interested in such a product that works with VGA graphics.  If some
one has used one or can otherwise recommend one, I would like to know
about it.
--

	Kevin Allred
	allred@emx.cc.utexas.edu

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (07/14/89)

In article <15162@ut-emx.UUCP>, allred@ut-emx.UUCP (Kevin L. Allred) writes:
 >In article <176@stsim.UUCP>, erik@stsim.UUCP (Erik Kascik) writes:
 >> Can someone explain to me the exact process of recording onto a VHS VCR
 >> from an IBM PC with EGA ?
 >
 >I recall having read about products that can take EGA or VGA signals
 >and turn them into composit video signals (interlaced I would guess)
 >for recording on a VCR or display on a composit monitor.  I am
 >interested in such a product that works with VGA graphics.  If some
 >one has used one or can otherwise recommend one, I would like to know
 >about it.

A product called VGA-TV, that promises to do just that, is advertised on
page 94 of the June 27, 1989 (Vol. 8 Issue 12) issue of PC Magazine.

Here are excerpts from the ad:

...VGA-TV lets you display broadcast quality graphics, conduct PC training
sessions, run interactive software demos, or simply see the full impact of
your work on TV.  Plus, you can videotape anything you display and send it to
one or one million viewers.

        VGA-TV is a standard VGA card that is 100% register and BIOS
compatable.  It outputs a broadcast quality NTSC (or RGB) signal of
VGA images to your television, projection TV, large screen TV, or VCR.

        On your TV, which connects to your computer by a simple RCA jack,
VGA-TV gives you resolution up to 640 x 480 x 16 colors (256 colors when
optional expansion memory is added to the board's sockets)...

End of excerpts.

The VGA-TV is $699, and has a one-year warranty and toll-free technical
support (or so the ad says).

It's available from:

        Willow Peripherals
        190 Willow Ave.
        Bronx, NY 10454
        (212)402-0010       (business phone)
        (212)402-9603       (fax)
        (800)402-1585, x74  (order/info phone)

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with Willow Peripherals, and don't
even own any of their products.  Your milage may vary.

--
Marc Unangst
UUCP smart    : mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (07/16/89)

erik@stsim.UUCP (Erik Kascik) writes:

>Can someone explain to me the exact process of recording onto a VHS VCR
>from an IBM PC with EGA ?

It requires some sort of conversion box that runs around $1000!
EGA signals are not compatible with normal (TV) video signals. The
scan rates (both vertical and horizontal) are different.

Ask on rec.video...

--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]