[comp.sys.ibm.pc] IND$FILE Ramblings

jdm1@eds1.UUCP (Jon McCown) (07/16/89)

PORTER <mike@vax1.acs.udel.edu> writes:

>>From: C0033003%DBSTU1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

>>does anyone have a description about the ind$file mechanism of IBM?

>IND$FILE is part of the file transfer program id 5665-311 (for MVS).  It
>used through the IBM PC 3270 Emulation Program.  You also need a board to
>make this all work.  Your SE should be able to help you.  Generally, it
>supports binary, ebcdic and ascii file transfer.
(stuff deleted)
>mike@vax1.acs.udel.edu

... your SE will be glad to direct you to a salesman who will smile broadly.

In an earlier age I fooled with unwinding this proto for use in a homebrew
terminal emulator.  My sketchy findings were arrived at through the use of
a protocol emulator (PCI) and a datascope, I post them in the hopes that
some enterprising type will be able to progress beyond what I've got...

IND$FILE (send/receive) etc...

Is actually screen based and can be activated from any 3270 device (note:
I was not able to test with all 3270 devices :-) and simply blows a screen
full of the requested data at a time to the requesting device.  The first
few bytes of the screen are a "packet counter" and/or "packet length" whose
exact configuration was not intuitively obvious.  For "downloading" purposes
they may be ignored.  For uploading you will need to decode and spoof them.
Pressing "ENTER" causes another screen of data to be sent (either direction).

Some translation may be required, depending on the command line options given
to the host.

Sadly (or fortunately) enough, an alternative method of file transfers appeared
before I made more significant or accurate progress.  I accept correction well,
and would be most gratified if someone would care to enlighten me (and the net)
as to the features of the mysterious IND$ protocol...

- Jon McCown

--
             J.D. McCown - RCSG Director - Senate of Pennsylvania
psuvax1!eds1!jdm1    (this space intentionally     "Your life or your lupins!"