[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HP Thinkjet brain-damaged?

bharat@hprnd.HP.COM (Bharat Singh) (07/11/89)

If your program wants an epson compatible printer, try configuring
thinkjet in 'Alternate mode' (I Think its switch 5).

Further, if in one of your programs, you get some graphics and then
garbage, most probably your serial flow control is not right.  There
are two kinds of handshake - hardware and software (x-on/x-ff)
handshake.  Try putting the printer to use hardware handshake.
Also you have to make sure that your printer cable is supporting all
the handshake control lines such as RTS, CTS, DTR.

To prove that handshake is a problem, try setting both computer and
printer at 300 baud.  Now you may be able to get more graphics printed
and probably no garbage at all.

Most of the applications have drivers for thinkjet either in HP mode
or Alternate mode.

Bharat

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (07/11/89)

>Something strange is going on here, and I'm baffled. I can do the
>same things on a parallel ALPS or EPSON printer with no problems.
>                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This may be the source of your problems. Unless the Thinkjet has
an Epson emulation module, it is running in native mode and uses
a different command language. For straight ASCII printouts
the command language is not used but programs such as Sideways
do use the command language. If your software thinks you have
an Epson then they will use the wrong command sequences.
Reconfigure your software to indicate you have an HP Thinkjet
rather than an Epson and see what happens.

				Danny Low
           "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	      dlow@hpspcoi.hp.com   ...!hpda!hpcuhc!hpspcoi!dlow

dclaar@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Doug Claar) (07/12/89)

You might already know about alternate mode. This is epson emulation mode.
It is controlled by switch 5 (up=Alternate). To select the IBM character
set, switches 6, 7, 8 should be up, up, down.

There ARE differences. The thinkjet vertical resolution is 1/96; epson is
1/72. The aspect ratio in single density graphics is square on the thinkjet,
but not on the epson. Horizontal dot density is also different.
These details can be found in appendix A of the reference section of the
thinkjet owner's manual, or at least the one I dug up (02225-90080).

Whether or not these differences mess you up is application dependent.

disclaimer: I don't work in the division responsible for the thinkjet,
and I simply did a (hopefully) informed transcription of the thinkjet
manual. HP is not responsible for what I've typed...But you knew that.

Doug Claar
HP Computer Systems Division
UUCP: mcvax!decvax!hplabs!hpda!dclaar -or- ucbvax!hpda!dclaar
ARPA: dclaar%hpda@hplabs.HP.COM

wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) (07/14/89)

The Thinkjet has 2 graphics modes, one of which emulates an IBM printer.
To use GRAPHICS.COM and print border characters, etc, you need to set the
printer for this mode.

It's been a long time, but I think switch #6 controls this.  One caveat --
all of the Thinkjets I've seen were parallel interface models.  Yours may
have a second switch block that I don't know about.

raphael@hpcuhb.HP.COM (Bert Raphael) (07/14/89)

I think the previous HP responders have confused the Thinkjet
with the Quietjet.  I'm afraid the original Thinkjet only responds
to the HP printer commands, and only prints the "Roman-8" character
set.  There are no dip switches on my Thinkjet (except for the HPIB
address switches).  Printer commands that work with Epson generally
will NOT work with a Thinkjet.

The Quietjet is a newer, somewhat more-expensive machine that uses the
same ink cartridges as the Thinkjet, but has many improvements
including "Alternate Mode" (Epson emulation) and character set choices,
selectable by escape sequence or dip switches.

[Usual disclaimer-- my part of HP USES printers, but doesn't make
or sell them.]

boba@hpwarau.hp.com (Bob Alexander) (07/14/89)

>I think the previous HP responders have confused the Thinkjet
>with the Quietjet.  I'm afraid the original Thinkjet only responds
>to the HP printer commands, and only prints the "Roman-8" character
>set.  There are no dip switches on my Thinkjet (except for the HPIB
>address switches).  Printer commands that work with Epson generally
>will NOT work with a Thinkjet.

No, they're not confused.  The RS232 and Centronics versions of Thinkjet
have "Alternate mode" (i.e. Epson emulation) that is enabled by putting
switch 5 up.  It also has the IBM character set that is enabled by
putting switches 6 and 7 up and switch 8 down.

I'm not surprised that your HP-IB Thinkjet doesn't have these features,
since it was primarily intended to connect to instruments and perhaps HP
150s, not IBM compatibles.

  Bob Alexander      | Get the Star Trek V Marshmallow Dispenser!  The
  boba@hpwala.hp.com | official marshmallow dispenser of the USS Enterprise!
  -------------------+---------------------------------------------------
  Organizations don't have opinions: individuals do.  The opinions expressed
  above do not necessarily reflect those of the stockholders, employees, or
  directors of Hewlett-Packard.

tarvaine@tukki.jyu.fi (Tapani Tarvainen) (07/15/89)

In article <9440008@hpcuhb.HP.COM> raphael@hpcuhb.HP.COM (Bert Raphael) writes:
>I think the previous HP responders have confused the Thinkjet
>with the Quietjet.  I'm afraid the original Thinkjet only responds
>to the HP printer commands, and only prints the "Roman-8" character
>set.  There are no dip switches on my Thinkjet (except for the HPIB
>address switches).  Printer commands that work with Epson generally
>will NOT work with a Thinkjet.

The alternate control sequences (Epson-like) are activated differently
in different ThinkJets, depending on the interface:
* in the RS232 version it is a dip switch (number 5 to be exact - yes,
  I have the manual open in front of me);
* the HP-IL version has no dips but the alternate mode can be selected
  with HP-IL commands (DDL 6, DATA 18);
* the parallel (Centronics) version I think uses dips too, but I don't
  have the manual at hand;
* the HP-IB version I've never used, but think it might use software
  commands like the HP-IL version (although it is possible it really doesn't
  have alternate mode).
--
Tapani Tarvainen                 BitNet:    tarvainen@finjyu
Internet:  tarvainen@jylk.jyu.fi  -- OR --  tarvaine@tukki.jyu.fi

onymouse@netcom.UUCP (John DeBert) (07/17/89)

in article <1013@tukki.jyu.fi>, tarvaine@tukki.jyu.fi (Tapani Tarvainen) says:

> In article <9440008@hpcuhb.HP.COM> raphael@hpcuhb.HP.COM (Bert Raphael) writes:
>>I think the previous HP responders have confused the Thinkjet
>>with the Quietjet.  I'm afraid the original Thinkjet only responds
>>to the HP printer commands, and only prints the "Roman-8" character
>>set...
>
> The alternate control sequences (Epson-like) are activated differently
> in different ThinkJets, depending on the interface...
>   have alternate mode).
> --
> Tapani Tarvainen                 BitNet:    tarvainen@finjyu
> Internet:  tarvainen@jylk.jyu.fi  -- OR --  tarvaine@tukki.jyu.fi

I had forgotten that there are at least three different versions of
the ThinkJet. I have the HPIB version,  the 2225A, which does not have
an alternate mode - or it may be merely undocumented. DIP switch 5 is
used for address selection.

I recall seeing that the 2225C, the serial version did in fact have
some additional features, including a switvh for setting alternate
mode. IF this is the one that the original poster was asking about,
he should be able to get it to work by setting the switch
appropriately. If it is the HPIB version, I'm afraid he's S.O.L.

JJD
onymouse@netcom.UUCP