[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Postscript printer for PC

gavin@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Gavin C. H. Zau) (07/12/89)

	Can anyone recommend a  postscript laser printer
for 286 and 386 PCs.  I am looking at the Apple Laserwriter II
NTX at the moment.  Thanks.

--
Gavin Zau	Dept of Chemical Engineering, MIT
		gavin@caf.mit.edu	mefl@eagle.mit.edu

mm42@prism.gatech.EDU (Mark A. Mitchell GTRI/STL/MSD) (07/12/89)

In article <2842@mit-caf.MIT.EDU> gavin@mit-caf.UUCP (Gavin C. H. Zau) writes:

>	Can anyone recommend a  postscript laser printer
>for 286 and 386 PCs.  I am looking at the Apple Laserwriter II
>NTX at the moment.  Thanks.

We have had good success with QMS Postscript printers.  They seem to give
a bit more for the money than Apple's.  The QMS-PS 810 is similar to
the LWII NTX.
--
Mark A. Mitchell  GTRI/STL/MSD
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!mm42

russ@prism.gatech.EDU (Russell Shackelford) (07/13/89)

In article <2842@mit-caf.MIT.EDU>, gavin@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Gavin C. H. Zau) writes:

> 	Can anyone recommend a  postscript laser printer
> for 286 and 386 PCs.  I am looking at the Apple Laserwriter II
> NTX at the moment.  Thanks.

dunno if you need a REAL postscript printer or not, maybe this'll help:

i got an HP LJ2 ($1500) and a LC2 board from Lasermaster Corp for
slightly more.  i use it with ventura.

the LM board provides the 35 bitstream fonts that match what comes
with the Laserwriter and prints them a LOT faster!!!!

ventura can spit out postscript. the LM board can let yousee proofs
or produce camera-ready FAST. it can also convert postscript files
and print them (albeit slowly, but then again postscript is SLOW) via
the free LM-Page utility.

all in all, the most bang for the buck, and saves $ too.... IF you're
using ventura or gem or windows or ...., i believe that its the most
cost/effective way to go, and i'm not aware of any down side to the deal.

if your interested, lemme know, maybe i can help...

--
Russell Shackelford
School of Information and Computer Science

neighorn@qiclab.UUCP (Steven C. Neighorn) (07/17/89)

In article <2842@mit-caf.MIT.EDU> gavin@mit-caf.UUCP (Gavin C. H. Zau) writes:

>	Can anyone recommend a  postscript laser printer
>for 286 and 386 PCs.  I am looking at the Apple Laserwriter II
>NTX at the moment.  Thanks.

You might look at the NEC LC-890 Postscript Printer. It comes with the usual
35 fonts, 3 megs of memory, two paper trays, serial, parallel, and appletalk
interfaces, emulates HP LJ, Diablo 630, and Apple Laserwriter II, and can be
had for under $3500 mailorder. I've printed a few thousand pages on mine and
am quite happy.
--
Steven C. Neighorn           !tektronix!{psu-cs,nosun,ogccse}!qiclab!neighorn
Sun Microsystems, Inc.      "Where we DESIGN the Star Fighters that defend the